Who is the licensing body responsible for Agrologists in Alberta?

Agrologists are professionals in agriculture and environmental science. 

In Alberta, registration with the Alberta Institute of Agrologists (AIA) is mandatory if you meet identified competency requirements and provide professional agrology services directly to the public or supervise registered members who provide agrology services to the public. Only registered members may call themselves a Professional Agrologist (PAg), Registered Technologist in Agrology (RTAg), Agrologist in Training (AIT) or Agrology Technologist in Training (ATT).

What are the registration requirements for internationally educated Agrologists?

Internationally educated Agrologists must 

3. Provide proof of being legally able to work in Canada 

4. Complete any deficiencies assigned by AIA 

5. Complete the In-Training Program 

6. Meet the experience requirements as laid out in the In-Training Program 

    NOTE: International applicants must have a minimum of one year of Canadian agrology experience. 

7. Request that your status be changed to Professional Agrologist (PAg) 

For complete registration information for internationally educated Agrologists, visit the Internationally Educated Applicants page on the Alberta Institute of Agrologists’ website.

What are the educational requirements for Agrologists in Alberta?

In Alberta, Professional Agrologists must hold a four-year bachelor's degree in agriculture or environmental science that is recognized by the Alberta Institute of Agrologists (AIA), or equivalent, and complete an Agrologist-in-Training program. 

The following educational institutions offer training in agrology: 

University of Alberta in Edmonton 

University of Calgary in Calgary 

Mount Royal University in Calgary 

University of Lethbridge in Lethbridge

What are the accepted English language proficiency tests and where can I be tested?

The only formal English requirements for Professional Agrologists in Alberta are to have completed three credits of English or communications; however, Professional Agrologists must be able to communicate effectively in English in the areas of reading, writing, speaking and listening skills in order to be successful in the profession. To learn more about where to take an English language proficiency test in Alberta, visit English Language Proficiency Tests and Locations.

What supports are available to support internationally educated professionals to integrate into the Canadian labour force?

Directions for Immigrants offers Clear Communications for Business to help you integrate into the Canadian work force. Topics include Active Listening, Assertiveness, Conflict Resolution, Problem Solving and Teamwork. Visit the Job Success Groups on the Study Groups page for more information on this service and eligibility criteria.

What information resources are available for Agrologists in Alberta?

Alberta Institute of Agrologists (AIA) 



Additional Occupational Information 

For more information on occupations, duties and wages, visit