Secondary School Teacher



Who is the regulatory body responsible for certifying Teachers in Alberta?

In Alberta, the Teacher Certification Branch of the Teaching & Leadership Excellence Sector of Alberta Education is responsible for the evaluation of credentials and issuance of certification for teachers in Alberta.

What are the registration requirements for internationally educated Secondary School Teachers?

Internationally educated Secondary School Teachers must have a minimum of sixteen years of schooling, including four years of university education and a recognized degree that includes or is supplemented with a structured, pre-service teacher preparation program from an institution acceptable to the Minister of Education. The program must include a minimum of 48 semester hour credits (1 and 3/5 years) in professional teacher education coursework, inclusive of a minimum of ten weeks in supervised student teaching at the elementary or secondary level. 

Secondary teachers are required to present a minimum of 24 semester hour credits in a teachable subject area, and 6 semester hour credits in English / French Literature and Composition. 

For complete information on the registration requirements, visit the Out Of Country Applicants page on the Alberta Education website.

What are the educational requirements for Teachers in Alberta?

Note: Regulatory bodies compare international education and experience to Canadian standards. 

The minimum qualification required to teach in a secondary school is four years of post-secondary education leading to a Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) degree. 

The following post-secondary institutions offer B.Ed. degree programs in secondary education:  

Burman University in Lacombe, Alberta 

King's University College in Edmonton 

Red Deer College - RDC has an arrangement with the University of Alberta to offer coursework towards the B.Ed. 

Grande Prairie Regional College in Grande Prairie -  GPRC has an arrangement with the University of Alberta to offer coursework towards the B.Ed. 

University of Alberta in Edmonton 

University of Calgary in Calgary 

University of Lethbridge in Lethbridge

Who is responsible for the hiring of teachers in Alberta?

Alberta’s public education system includes Public, Separate, Francophone and Charter schools, as well as alternative programs and virtual programs offered by school boards and home education. Alberta First Nations, Métis and Inuit schools follow the Alberta Programs of Study. All school types, including accredited private schools, employ teachers with Alberta teaching certificates.

Public and Separate school boards operate the basic education system in the province – the universal system accessible to everyone. School boards are responsible for the hiring and placement of teachers. For a list of schools and school boards, visit Authorities and Schools Directory.

What training programs or services are available for internationally educated teachers?

The following institutions offer bridging programs for internationally educated teachers: 

Both programs require a letter of assessment completed by the Teacher Certification Branch.

What are the accepted English language proficiency tests and where can I be tested?

Applicants must successfully achieve the required passing score on one of the Alberta Education approved English Language Tests. The only tests accepted for evidence of language proficiency are the TOEFL-iBT and the IELTS- Academic Test. To learn more about where to take an English language proficiency test in Alberta, visit English Language Proficiency Tests and Locations.

What supports are available to support internationally educated professionals to integrate into the Canadian labour force?

Directions for Immigrants offers Clear Communications for Business to help you integrate into the Canadian work force. Topics include Active Listening, Assertiveness, Conflict Resolution, Problem Solving and Teamwork. Visit the Job Success Groups on the Study Groups page for more information on this service and eligibility criteria.

What information resources are available for Teachers in Alberta?

Alberta Teachers' Association (ATA) 

Additional Occupational Information 

For more information on occupations, duties and wages, visit