Early Childhood Educator



Who is the licensing body responsible for Early Childhood Educators?

The Alberta Child Care Licensing Regulation requires all educators in licensed day care programs, out-of-school care programs and preschools have completed training in child development or training considered equivalent.

What are the certification requirements for Early Childhood Educators?

Note: Licensing bodies compare international education and experience to Canadian standards. 

Internationally educated Early Childhood Educators must 

• Ensure that your English meets the minimum Canadian Language Benchmark Assessment requirements of 7 in each of reading, writing, listening/speaking 

• Arrange for your official documents to be sent directly to the Alberta Child Care Staff Certification Office from your educational institution. 

NOTE: Early Childhood Educators are divided into three categories for certification: 

Child Development Assistant – must have passed the requisite courses 

Child Development Worker – must hold a one-year Early Learning and Child Care Certificate or equivalent AND have passed a college level (or higher) English/French course 

Child Development Supervisor – must hold a two-year Early Learning and Child Care Diploma or educational equivalency AND passed a college level (or higher) English/French course 

For complete information on the certification requirements for Early Childhood Educators, visit the Alberta Human Services Child Care Staff Certification website.

What are the educational requirements for Early Childhood Educators in Alberta?

In Alberta, the following post-secondary institutions offer directly related programs: 

Bow Valley College in Calgary 

CDI College in Edmonton 

Grande Prairie Regional College in Grand Prairie 

MacEwan University in Edmonton 

Keyano College in Fort McMurray 

Lakeland College in Vermilion 

Lethbridge College in Lethbridge 

Medicine Hat College in Medicine Hat 

Mount Royal University in Calgary 

Northern Lakes College in Slave Lake 

Portage College in Lac La Biche 

Red Deer College in Red Deer 

What are the accepted English language proficiency tests and where can I be tested?

Applicants for Child Development Worker or Child Development Supervisor certification must achieve a score of 7 or higher on the Canadian Language Benchmarks Assessment (CLBA) test. To learn more about where to take an English language proficiency test in Alberta, visit English Language Proficiency Tests and Locations.

What resources and supports are available for internationally educated professionals?

Directions for Immigrants offers Clear Communications for Business to help you integrate into the Canadian work force. Topics include Active Listening, Assertiveness, Conflict Resolution, Problem Solving and Teamwork. Visit the Study Groups page for more information on this service and eligibility criteria.

What information resources are available for Early Childhood Educators in Alberta?

Alberta Human Services Child Care Staff Certification 

Additional Occupational Information 

For more information on occupations, duties and wages, visit