Management Consultant



Who is the licensing body responsible for Management Consultants in Alberta?

To call yourself a Certified Management Consultant or CMC, you must be a certified member of the Institute of Certified Management Consultants of Alberta (ICMCA). You do not have to be registered if you do not call yourself a Certified Management Consultant or use the initials CMC after your name.

What are the registration requirements for Management Consultants?

CMCs who are registered in another country that is a member of The International Council of Management Consulting Institutes are able to transfer their membership and designation to Canada. To become a registered member of CMC-Canada, you must be legally entitled to work in Canada, as well as a resident of Canada. 

Internationally educated management consultants who are not certified with an association that is a member of the International Council of Management Consulting Institutes must 

• Have their undergraduate degree assessed by a credential evaluation service, such as World Education Services (WES)  
• Complete the same process as Canadian management consultants 

To learn more about the certification process, visit the Earn the CMC webpage on the CMC Canada website. 

What are the educational requirements for Management Consultants in Alberta?

Note: Licensing bodies compare international education and experience to Canadian standards. 

Certified Management Consultants are required to hold an undergraduate degree or equivalent. 

In Alberta, the following universities offer degrees: 

Athabasca University – distance education 

MacEwan University in Edmonton 

Mount Royal University in Calgary 

University of Alberta in Edmonton 

University of Calgary in Calgary 

University of Lethbridge in Lethbridge

What are the accepted English language proficiency tests and where can I be tested?

There are no formal English/French requirements for internationally educated Management Consultants; however, Management Consultants must have a high level of English or French in the areas of reading, writing, speaking and listening skills in order to be successful in the profession. In addition, they are required to prepare their CMC-Canada engagement summaries in English or French and to pass the required courses in English or French. 

NOTE: the language of business in Alberta is primarily English. Fluency in French would likely be inadequate for an applicant to be successful in the profession in Alberta.

To learn more about where to take an English language proficiency test in Alberta, visit English Language Proficiency Tests and Locations.

What supports are available to support internationally educated professionals to integrate into the Canadian labour force?

Directions for Immigrants offers Clear Communications for Business to help you integrate into the Canadian work force. Topics include Active Listening, Assertiveness, Conflict Resolution, Problem Solving and Teamwork. Visit the Job Success Groups on the Study Groups page for more information on this service and eligibility criteria.

What information sources are available for Management Consultants in Alberta?

Canadian Association of Management Consultants (CMC) 

Additional Occupational Information 

For more information on occupations, duties and wages, visit