Mortgage Associate



Who is responsible for registering Mortgage Associates in Alberta?

In Alberta, to call yourself or to work as a Mortgage Associate or Mortgage Broker, you must be registered with the Real Estate Council of Alberta (RECA)

NOTE: While the term Mortgage Broker is often used in place of the term Mortgage Associate, when applying for a license, please be aware that a Broker is responsible for all activities in a Brokerage. An Associate works for a Broker.

What are the licensing requirements for Mortgage Associates in Alberta?

Internationally educated Mortgage Associates must follow the same process to become a Mortgage Associates as new Mortgage Associates. The only exceptions to this rule are listed on the Coming from Another Jurisdiction page on the Real Estate Council of Alberta website. 

Internationally educated Mortgage Associates must 

1. Meet the Eligibility Criteria 

2. Complete the training as identified on the Mortgage Brokerage Education Requirements web page 

3. Submit a Certified Criminal Record Check from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) 

4. Apply to RECA as a Mortgage Associate 

NOTE: Applicants interested in becoming a Mortgage Broker are advised to contact RECA regarding the process to become licensed as a Mortgage Broker. 

For complete information on the licensing process for Mortgage Associates/Brokers, visit the Become an industry professional page on the Real Estate Council of Alberta website.

What are the educational requirements for Mortgage Associates in Alberta?

In Alberta, to become a licensed Mortgage Associate/Broker, applicants must study and pass the Mortgage Associates Program which consists of the Fundamentals of Mortgage Brokerage and Practice of Mortgage Brokerage courses. For specific information, visit the Education Requirements for Mortgage Brokers web page on the RECA website.

What are the accepted English language proficiency tests and where can I be tested?

Applicants must successfully achieve the required passing score on one of the RECA approved English Language Tests. To learn more about where to take an English language proficiency test in Alberta, visit English Language Proficiency Tests and Locations.

What supports are available to support internationally educated professionals to integrate into the Canadian labour force?

Directions for Immigrants offers Clear Communications for Business to help you integrate into the Canadian work force. Topics include Active Listening, Assertiveness, Conflict Resolution, Problem Solving and Teamwork. Visit the Job Success Groups on the Study Groups page for more information on this service and eligibility criteria.

What information resources are available for Mortgage Associates in Alberta?

Real Estate Council of Alberta (RECA) 

Additional Occupational Information 

For more information on occupations, duties and wages, visit the