Interior Designer



Who is the licensing body responsible for Interior Designers in Alberta?

The Alberta Association of Architects (AAA) oversees interior designer certification which entitles designers to practice a portion of the scope of practice defined in the Architects Act and Regulations. You do not have to be registered if you do not practice as nor use the title Licensed Interior Designer or Intern Interior Designer.

What are the registration requirements for internationally educated Interior Designers?

Interior Designers who want to be licensed by the Alberta Association of Architects must 

1. Apply to the AAA as an Intern Interior Designer (IID) 

2. Complete a minimum of two years (3520 hours) of approved work experience 

NOTE: An Intern Interior Designer Experience Log Book must be maintained. 

3. Complete and pass the NCIDQ exam 

4. Be registered in the IID program for a minimum of three years 

5. Complete and pass the Alberta Building Code course 

6. Complete and pass the Architects Act & Regulation course 

7. Apply for membership as a Licensed Interior Designer 

8. Complete and pass the interview with the AAA Registration Committee. 

For complete information on the registration requirements for internationally educated Interior Designers, visit the Membership Categories page on the AAA website. 

NOTE: June 2015 - The Intern Interior Design program is currently under review. Please ensure that you are following the current process when applying.

What are the educational requirements for Interior Designers in Alberta?

Because Interior Designers do not require certification nor licensure, there are no standard education requirements for interior designers in Alberta. However, to be licensed by the Alberta Association of Architects, interior designers must have a degree in interior design plus related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.

In Alberta, Mount Royal University in Calgary offers a four-year Bachelor of Applied Interior Design degree program. 

The following post-secondary institutions offer two-year interior design diploma programs, which are not and cannot be accredited by the Council for Interior Design Accreditation at this time. Graduates of these programs are not eligible for professional registration without further education and a longer period of work experience (see Other Requirements below). 

Lakeland College in Vermilion 

Lethbridge College in Lethbridge 

What are the accepted English language proficiency tests and where can I be tested?

There are no formal English requirements for Interior Designers; however, Interior Designers must have a high level of English in the areas of reading, writing, speaking and listening skills in order to be successful in the profession. To learn more about where to take an English language proficiency test in Alberta, visit English Language Proficiency Tests and Locations.

What supports are available to support internationally educated professionals to integrate into the Canadian labour force?

Directions for Immigrants offers Clear Communications for Business to help you integrate into the Canadian work force. Topics include Active Listening, Assertiveness, Conflict Resolution, Problem Solving and Teamwork. Visit the Job Success Groups on the Study Groups page for more information on this service and eligibility criteria.

What information resources are available for Interior Designers?

Alberta Association of Architects (AAA)

Additional Occupational Information 

For more information on occupations, duties and wages, visit