Dental Assistant



Who is the licensing body responsible for Dental Assistants in Alberta?

In Alberta, you must be registered with the College of Alberta Dental Assistants (CADA) to practice as a Dental Assistant. Only registered members may call themselves Registered Dental Assistants (RDA).

What are the registration requirements for internationally educated Dental Assistants?

Note: The following information does not apply to US educated Dental Assistants. For US educated Dental Assistants, please visit the NDAEB website.

National Dental Assisting Examining Board (NDAEB) manages the certification process for internationally educated Dental Assistants in Alberta. A National Dental Assisting Examining Board (NDAEB) Certificate is a requirement for registration with the College of Alberta Dental Assistants.

Note: A
Registration Eligibility Flow Chart is available on the College of Alberta Dental Assistants website.
Note: The requirement for the NDAEB certificate is determined by the provincial Dental Assisting Regulatory Authorities, therefore; you are advised to confirm the requirement for the NDAEB certificate in the province where you intend to work before applying to the NDAEB.

Internationally educated Dental Assistants, Dentists and Dental Hygienists wishing to apply for NDAEB exam eligibility must

1. Have their theoretical and clinical training assessed by an
agency acceptable to NDAEB. A credentials assessment report with Dental Assisting Course Work Report must be submitted directly to NDAEB by the evaluating agency.

NOTE: Only IQAS in Alberta requires the Dental Assisting Course Work Report (DACWR) to be submitted for assessment. The other agencies: ICES in BC and WES in Ontario, do not require the DACWR. Applicants must complete and submit the credentials assessment directly to the NDAEB.

2. Submit a true copy of your academic transcript/diploma, certified in Canada or at a Canadian embassy or consulate abroad, translated to English or French, to the NDAEB office.

NOTE: Dentists educated outside Canada who have been granted exam eligibility by the National Dental Examining Board of Canada (NDEB) are not required to submit their academic records to an agency. In lieu of an agency report, they may submit proof of registration with the NDEB, along with certified true copies of their academic records and a completed Dental Assisting Course Work report.

3. Submit a completed
Dental Assisting Course Work Report.

4. Write and pass the NDAEB written exam. NDAEB is responsible for the administration of the national examination of Dental Assistants in Canada. Exam eligibility criteria for international graduates are outlined on the NDAEB website under
International Applicants.

5. Complete and pass the Clinical Practice Evaluation (CPE)


    Successfully complete intra-oral upgrading at a CDAC-accredited dental assisting program.

Note: The
NDAEB International Applicant Credentials Assessment provides a detailed explanation of the requirements for internationally educated Dental Assisting Applicants in Alberta.

What are the educational requirements for Dental Assistants in Alberta?

Note: NDAEB compares international education and experience to Canadian standards.

In Alberta, the following post-secondary institutions offer dental assisting programs that are accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of Canada:

SAIT Polytechnic (SAIT) in Calgary

Columbia College in Calgary

Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT) in Edmonton

KDM Dental College International Inc. in Edmonton and Calgary

What are the accepted English language proficiency tests and where can I be tested?

NDAEB does not require a language test. However, it must be understood that the NDAEB exam is available in English and French only. To learn more about where to take an English language proficiency test in Alberta, visit English Language Proficiency Tests and Locations.

What supports are available to support internationally educated health professionals to integrate into the Canadian labour force?

Directions for Immigrants, Clear Communication for Health Professionals 

Developed for health care professionals, Clear Communication for Health Professionals is a facilitated study group that focuses on the essence of effective communication in a health care setting. Participants will learn more about Canadian workplace culture, developing effective listening skills and other techniques designed to help you succeed in the workplace. Please visit the Job Success Groups tab on the Study Groups page.

What information resources are available for Dental Assistants in Alberta?

Association of Alberta Dental Assistants (AADA) 

Additional Occupational Information 

For more information on occupations, duties and wages, visit