Local Government Manager



Who is the licensing body responsible for Local Government Managers?

To call yourself a Certified Local Government Manager (CLGM), you must be a registered member of the Society of Local Government Managers. You do not have to be registered if you do not call yourself a Certified Local Government Manager or CLGM. 

NOTE: Members of the Society of Local Government Managers consists of Government Managers from cities, towns, villages, and summer villages. Those working at the Federal or Provincial levels would not be eligible for membership in CLGM.

What are the certification requirements for Local Government Managers?

The Society of Local Government Managers recognizes the experience and education of international local government managers as set out in the Local Government Managers Regulation and Policies. 

Internationally educated Local Government Managers who wish to become certified with the SLGM must 

• Meet the academic requirements laid out in section 3, point 9 Registration as a certified local government manager in the Local Government Managers Regulation 

• Have a minimum of five years of experience in the field that is acceptable to the Registration Committee 

• Apply to SLGM with the required documents 

For more information on the certification requirements for Local Government Managers, contact the Society of Local Government Managers.

What are the educational requirements for Local Government Managers in Alberta?

NOTE: Regulating bodies compare international education and experience to Canadian standards. 

The following educational institutions in Alberta offer training that fits the requirements to become a Certified Local Government Manager: 

• The University of Alberta Faculty of Extension offers three certificates in Government Studies: 
     - National Advanced Certificate in Local Authority Administration (NACLAA) 
     - Applied Land Use Planning 
     - Information Access and Protection of Privacy 

Olds College offers a two-year Land and Water Resources program 

Athabasca University offers a one-year University Certificate in Public Administration program

What are the accepted English language proficiency tests and where can I be tested?

There are no formal English requirements for Certified Local Government Managers; however, CLGMs must be able to communicate effectively in the areas of reading, writing, speaking and listening skills in order to be successful in the profession. To learn more about where to take an English language proficiency test in Alberta, visit English Language Proficiency Tests and Locations.

What supports are available to support internationally educated professionals to integrate into the Canadian labour force?

Directions for Immigrants offers Clear Communications for Business to help you integrate into the Canadian work force. Topics include Active Listening, Assertiveness, Conflict Resolution, Problem Solving and Teamwork. Visit the Job Success Groups on the Study Groups page for more information on this service and eligibility criteria.

What information resources are available for Local Government Managers?

Alberta Association of Municipal Districts and Counties (AAMDC) 

Additional Occupational Information 

For more information on occupations, duties and wages, visit