Registered Veterinarian Technologist



Who is the licensing body responsible for Registered Veterinarian Technologists in Alberta?

In Alberta, to practice as a Registered Veterinarian Technologist, you must be registered with the Alberta Veterinary Medical Association (ABVMA) and be a member of the Alberta Association of Animal Health Technologists (AAAHT).

Note: In 2015, the title Registered Veterinarian Technologist (RVT) replaced the former title of Animal Health Technologist (AHT).

Note: The Alberta Association of Animal Health Technologists will soon be replaced by the Alberta Association of Registered Veterinarian Technologist (RARVT).

What are the registration requirements for internationally educated Registered Veterinarian Technologists (RVTs)?

Note: Licensing bodies compare international education and experience to Canadian standards.

Internationally educated Registered Veterinarian Technologists must apply to the ABVMA for an evaluation of their qualifications and fulfill the following criteria for licensure. The
POLICY – Registration Process for Registered Veterinarian Technologists who have graduated from a program not accredited by the CVMA provides full details of the requirements.

1. Academic Requirement

A certificate, diploma or degree equivalent to a two-year Canadian Veterinary Medicine Association (CVMA) accredited program is required to become accepted as an Registered Veterinarian Technologist. Non-accredited programs will be assessed by the ABMVA for equivalency.

Before applying to ABMVA, you will be required to submit curriculum information for review. If this review is approved, you will be allowed to apply to ABMVA for registration.

2. English Language Competency

Applicants must successfully achieve the required passing score on one of the AAAHT-approved English Language Tests. These include iB-TOEFL, IELTS, or CAEL. To learn more about where to take an English language proficiency test in Alberta, visit
English Language Proficiency Tests and Locations.

3. Veterinary Technicians National Exam (VTNE)

The VTNE must be attempted within six months of receiving Provisional Registered Veterinarian Technologist Membership by the AAAHT and ABVMA. A passing grade on the VTNE is required in order to receive Active membership with the AAAHT and ABVMA.

4. Clinical Assessment

The ABVMA clinical assessment must occur within six months of notification of passing the VTNE. Applicants may be eligible for a Provisional RVT Membership with the ABVMA while waiting to write the VTNE and may be able to work in a veterinary practice.

What are the educational requirements for Animal Health Technologists in Alberta?

In Alberta, the following institutions offer two-year diploma programs in Animal Health Technology:

Grande Prairie Regional College in Fairview

Lakeland College in Vermilion

Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT) in Edmonton

Olds College in Olds

e-Campus Alberta, online program in conjunction with Olds College

Note: These diploma programs will continue to be called Animal Health Technology.

What supports are available to help internationally educated professionals to integrate into the Canadian labour force?

Directions for Immigrants offers Clear Communications for Business to help you integrate into the Canadian work force.  Topics include Active Listening, Assertiveness, Conflict Resolution, Problem Solving and Teamwork.  Visit the Job Success Groups on the Study Groups page for more information on this service and eligibility criteria.

What information resources are available for Animal Health Technologists in Alberta?

Alberta Association of Animal Health Technologists (AAAHT)

Registered Veterinarian Technologists and Technicians of Canada (RVTTC)

Additional Occupational Information

For more information on occupations, duties and wages, visit