Electrical Contractor



Who is the licensing body responsible for Electrical Contractors?

To call yourself a Professional Electrical Contractor, you must be registered with the Electrical Contractors Association of Alberta (ECAA). You do not have to be registered if you do not call yourself a Professional Electrical Contractor.

What are the certification requirements for Electrical Contractors?

In order to become a Professional Electrical Contractor, you must first be licensed as a Master Electrician with the Safety Codes Council

For information on the certification requirements for Electrical Contractors, visit ECAA website.

What are the accepted English language proficiency tests and where can I be tested?

There are no formal English requirements for Professional Electrical Contractors in Alberta; however, Professional Electrical Contractor must be able to communicate effectively in English in the areas of reading, writing, speaking and listening skills in order to be successful in the profession and to pass the required exams. To learn more about where to take an English language proficiency test in Alberta, visit English Language Proficiency Tests and Locations.

What supports are available to support internationally educated professionals to integrate into the Canadian labour force?

Directions for Immigrants offers Clear Communications for Business to help you integrate into the Canadian work force. Topics include Active Listening, Assertiveness, Conflict Resolution, Problem Solving and Teamwork. Visit the Job Success Groups on the Study Groups page for more information on this service and eligibility criteria.

What information resources are available for Electrical Contractors?

Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training 

Additional Occupational Information 

For more information on occupations, duties and wages, visit