Dental Technologist / Technician



Who is the licensing body responsible for Dental Technologists?

In Alberta, it is mandatory for all Dental Technologists/Technicians practicing in a Dentist’s office or Dental Laboratory to be registered with the College of Dental Technologists of Alberta (CDTA) to practice within the profession of Dental Technologists/Technicians. Only registered members may call themselves Dental Technologists or Dental Technicians.

What are the licensure requirements for internationally educated Dental Technologists?

Internationally educated applicants must follow the steps outlined in the Documentation File Check List:

• Complete and submit the
CDTA Initial Application as a Dental Technologist or Dental Technician form, along with the required fees
• Submit an
International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) “Specialized Assessment”.
• Submit a syllabus or course outline of your educational program(s)
• Submit a copy of your transcripts along with a copy of your diploma
• If you were a member of a dental association outside of Canada, submit the name of the association and membership duration
• Memberships and Affiliations of Originating Jurisdiction
• Post Graduate Institution Syllabus
• Post Graduate Diploma where applicable
• Resume of Related Work Experience
• Employer Letter of Reference
• Related Continuing Education Programming
• Submit results of a
Criminal Record Check

NOTE: Have all required documents translated into English and notarized. The
Association of Translators and Interpreters of Alberta provides translation services.

Upon review of the applicant's file, the Registration, Education and Competency Committee will determine competence to practice. The candidate may be required to complete a practical exam based on the merit of the application as reviewed by the Committee.

Conditional License

The CDTA does not under any circumstances provide temporary or conditional licenses.

What are the educational requirements for Dental Technologists?

Note: Licensing bodies compare international education and experience to Canadian standards.

Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT) in Edmonton offers a two-year Dental Technology diploma program.

What supports are available to support internationally educated health professionals to integrate into the Canadian labour force?

Directions for Immigrants, Clear Communication for Health Professionals 

Developed for health care professionals, Clear Communication for Health Professionals is a facilitated study group that focuses on the essence of effective communication in a health care setting. Participants will learn more about Canadian workplace culture, developing effective listening skills and other techniques designed to help you succeed in the workplace. Please visit the Job Success Groups tab on the Study Groups page.

What information resources are available for Dental Technologists?

College of Dental Technologists of Alberta (CDTA)

Health Sciences Association of Alberta (HSAA) 

Additional Occupational Information 

For more information on occupations, duties and wages, visit