Agrology Technologist



Who is the licensing body responsible for Agrologists in Alberta?

In Alberta, registration with the Alberta Institute of Agrologists (AIA) is mandatory if you meet identified competency requirements and provide professional agrology services directly to the public or supervise registered members who provide agrology services to the public. Only registered members may call themselves a Professional Agrologist (PAg), Registered Technologist in Agrology (RTAg), Agrologist in Training (AIT) or Agrology Technologist in Training (ATT).

What are the registration requirements for internationally educated Agrologists?

Internationally educated Agrologists must 

1. Apply to AIA 

3. Provide proof of being legally able to work in Canada 

4. Complete any deficiencies assigned by AIA 

5. Complete the In-Training Program 

6. Meet the experience requirements as laid out in the In-Training Program. 

    NOTE: International applicants must have a minimum of one year of Canadian agrology experience 

7. Request that your status be changed to Registered Technologist in Agrology (RTAg) 

For complete registration information for internationally educated Agrology Technologists, visit the Internationally Educated Applicants page on the Alberta Institute of Agrologists' website.

What are the educational requirements for Agrology Technologists in Alberta?

In Alberta, Registered Technologists in Agrology (RTAg) must have a two-year diploma or applied degree in agrology that is recognized by the Alberta Institute of Agrologists (AIA) or equivalent and complete an Agrology Technologist-in-Training (ATT) program. 

The following institutions offer programs that meet ATT eligibility: 

Olds College in Olds 

Lakeland College in Vermillion 

Lethbridge College in Lethbridge 

SAIT Polytechnic in Calgary 

Keyano College in Fort McMurray

What are the accepted English language proficiency tests and where can I be tested?

The only formal English requirements for Registered Agrology Technologists in Alberta are to have completed three credits of English or communications; however, Registered Agrology Technologists must be able to communicate effectively in English in the areas of reading, writing, speaking and listening skills in order to be successful in the profession. To learn more about where to take an English language proficiency test in Alberta, visit English Language Proficiency Tests and Locations.

What supports are available to support internationally educated professionals to integrate into the Canadian labour force?

Directions for Immigrants offers Clear Communications for Business to help you integrate into the Canadian work force. Topics include Active Listening, Assertiveness, Conflict Resolution, Problem Solving and Teamwork. Visit the Job Success Groups on the Study Groups page for more information on this service and eligibility criteria.

What information resources are available for Agrologists in Alberta?

Agricultural Institute of Canada (AIC) 

Additional Occupational Information 

For more information on occupations, duties and wages, visit