Who is the licensing body responsible for Dentists in Alberta?

In Alberta, you must be registered with the Alberta Dental Association and College (ADAC) to practice as a Dentist. Only registered members may call themselves Dentists.

What are the licensure requirements for internationally educated Dentists?

The Commission on Dental Accreditation of Canada (CDAC) is responsible for accrediting dental education programs in Canada. For the purpose of certification and licensure in Canada, the CDAC International Professionals page provides information on programs that are considered accredited.

National Dental Examining Board of Canada provides information for Graduates of Non-accredited Dental Programs and the NDEB Equivalency Process.

NDEB Equivalency Process for internationally educated Dentists from non-accredited dental programs to become accredited in Alberta is as follows:

1. Complete the
web-based self-assessment to determine your readiness to proceed with your application.

2. The
competencies for a beginning dental practitioner in Canada can be found on the NDEB site.

3. Apply to the
NDEB Equivalency Process and Document Verification.

4. Complete and pass the
Assessment of Fundamental Knowledge.

5. Complete and pass the
Assessment of Clinical Skills.

6. Complete and pass the
Assessment of Clinical Judgement.

7. Apply to NDEB Certification Process.

8. Complete and pass
written and OSCE Examinations

9. Ensure that you have met all
provincial standards, as well.

Note: Specialists are advised to seek further information from their professional association.

What are the educational requirements for Dentists in Alberta?

Note: Licensing bodies compare international education and experience to Canadian standards. 

 The Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry at the University of Alberta in Edmonton offers the only four-year program in Alberta that leads to the required degree, Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS).

What training programs or services are available for internationally educated Dentists?

Schulich School of Dentistry, Continuing Dental Education

NDEB Prep Course 

University of Toronto

Assessment of Clinical Skills Review

University of British Columbia

Clinical Skills Enrichment Course (CSEC) for Foreign Trained Dentists
Clinic Examination Candidate Orientation

What resources and supports are available to support internationally educated health professionals to integrate into the Canadian labour force?

Directions for Immigrants, Clear Communication for Health Professionals 

Developed for health care professionals, Clear Communication for Health Professionals is a facilitated study group that focuses on the essence of effective communication in a health care setting. Participants will learn more about Canadian workplace culture, developing effective listening skills and other techniques designed to help you succeed in the workplace. Please visit the Job Success Groups tab on the Study Groups page.

What resources are available for Dentists in Alberta?

Alberta Dental Association and College (ADA+C) 

Dental Specialists 

Additional Occupational Information

For more information on occupations, duties and wages, visit