Agricultural Consultant



Who is the licensing body responsible for Certified Agricultural Consultants in Alberta?

To call yourself a Certified Agricultural Consultant or CAC, you must be a certified member of the Canadian Association of Management Consultants. You do not have to be registered if you do not call yourself a Certified Agricultural Consultant or use the initials CAC after your name.

What are the registration requirements for Certified Agricultural Consultants?

CACs who are registered in another country are able to transfer their membership and designation to Canada; however, they must hold a Certified Agricultural Consultant (CAC) designation, or similar designation, from a consulting agricultural association operating outside of Canada that is approved by the CAC Committee of CMC-Canada.

To become a registered member of CMC-Canada, you must be legally entitled to work in Canada, as well as a resident of Canada.

Internationally educated agricultural consultants who do not currently hold an agricultural designation must 

• Have their degree assessed by a credential evaluation service, such as World Education Services (WES) 

• Complete the same process as Canadian agricultural consultants 

To learn more about the certification process, visit the Earn the CAC webpage on the CMC Canada website. 

What are the educational requirements for Certified Agricultural Consultants in Alberta?

Note: Licensing bodies compare international education and experience to Canadian standards. 

Certified Agricultural Consultants are required to hold a graduate degree or equivalent (be certified by another professional body, hold an agricultural designation, etc.).

In Alberta, the following universities offer degrees: 

Athabasca University – distance education 

MacEwan University in Edmonton 

Mount Royal University in Calgary 

University of Alberta in Edmonton 

University of Calgary in Calgary 

University of Lethbridge in Lethbridge

What are the accepted English language proficiency tests and where can I be tested?

There are no formal English/French requirements for internationally educated Certified Agricultural Consultants; however, Certified Agricultural Consultants must have a high level of English or French in the areas of reading, writing, speaking and listening skills in order to be successful in the profession. In addition, they are required to prepare their CMC-Canada engagement summaries in English or French and to pass the required courses in English or French. 

NOTE: the language of business in Alberta is primarily English. Fluency in French would likely be inadequate for an applicant to be successful in the profession in Alberta.

To learn more about where to take an English language proficiency test in Alberta, visit English Language Proficiency Tests and Locations.

What supports are available to support internationally educated professionals to integrate into the Canadian labour force?

Directions for Immigrants offers Clear Communications for Business to help you integrate into the Canadian work force. Topics include Active Listening, Assertiveness, Conflict Resolution, Problem Solving and Teamwork. Visit the Job Success Groups on the Study Groups page for more information on this service and eligibility criteria.

What information sources are available for Certified Agricultural Consultants in Alberta?

Canadian Association of Management Consultants (CMC) 

Additional Occupational Information 

For more information on occupations, duties and wages, visit