Human Resources Professional



Who is the registering body responsible for designating Human Resources Professionals in Alberta?

In Alberta, you must be a certified member of the Chartered Professionals in Human Resources in Alberta to call yourself a Chartered Professional in Human Resources (CPHR).  You do not have to be certified if you do not call yourself a Chartered Professional in Human Resources nor use the initials CPHR after your name.

What are the registration requirements for internationally educated Human Resources Professionals?

Internationally educated Human Resources Professionals must 

1. Join the CPHR as an Associate member 

2. Hold a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree 

3. Submit a basic assessment completed by the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) 

NOTE:  the IQAS must be sent directly by IQAS to the CPHR office 

4. Write and pass the National Knowledge Exam (NKE) 

CPHR will automatically change your membership to a Candidate membership once you pass the exam. 

5. Complete three years of professional-level experience in Human Resources within the past ten years (both Canadian and foreign experience may be accepted)

NOTE: All Experience Validation Assessment (EVA) submissions (Canadian and foreign) can expect the possibility of being subject to audit to verify the experience 

6. Submit your Experience Validation Assessment within ten years of passing the NKE 

NOTE: You must maintain your status as a member of the CPHR throughout the process in order to achieve and maintain CPHR status. See the CPHR Alberta website for other details necessary to achieve and maintain CPHR status.

What are the educational requirements for Human Resources Professionals in Alberta?

NOTE: Regulatory bodies compare international education and experience to Canadian standards. 

Chartered Professionals in Human Resources must hold a minimum of a bachelor’s degree. Others working in the industry will need to meet the requirements of the employer. 

In Alberta, the following institutions offer training in Human Resources: 

Athabasca University – distance education 

MacEwan University in Edmonton 

Keyano College in Fort McMurray 

NAIT in Edmonton 

NorQuest College in Edmonton 

Red Deer College in Red Deer 

University of Alberta in Edmonton 

What are the accepted English language proficiency tests and where can I be tested?

There are no formal English requirements for Human Resources Professionals; however, Human Resources Professionals must have a high level of English in the areas of reading, writing, speaking and listening skills in order to be successful in the profession. To learn more about where to take an English language proficiency test in Alberta, visit English Language Proficiency Tests and Locations.

What supports are available to support internationally educated professionals to integrate into the Canadian labour force?

Directions for Immigrants offers Clear Communications for Business to help you integrate into the Canadian work force. Topics include Active Listening, Assertiveness, Conflict Resolution, Problem Solving and Teamwork. Visit the Job Success Groups on the Study Groups page for more information on this service and eligibility criteria.

What information resources are available for Human Resources Professionals in Alberta?

Chartered Professionals in Human Resources in Alberta

Additional Occupational Information 

For more information on occupations, duties and wages, visit