Property Manager



Who is responsible for licensing Property Managers in Alberta?

In Alberta, to call yourself or work as a third-party Property Manager, you must be licensed by the Real Estate Council of Alberta (RECA)

If you are employed as a property manager in a company where you are managing properties belonging to the company’s clients or if you are managing properties belonging to your clients, you must be licensed. 

If you are directed employed as a property manager in a company where you are managing only that company’s properties, you do not have to be licensed.

What are the licensing requirements for Property Managers in Alberta?

Internationally educated Property Managers must follow the same process to become a Property Manager as new Property Managers. The only exceptions to this rule are listed on the Coming from Another Jurisdiction page on the Real Estate Council of Alberta website. 

Internationally educated Property Managers who require licensing must 

2. Complete the training as identified on the RECA Education Requirements – Property Manager web page 

3. Submit a Certified Criminal Record Check from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) 

4. Apply to RECA as a Property Manager 

For complete information on the licensing process for Property Managers, visit the Become an industry professional page on the Real Estate Council of Alberta website.

What are the educational requirements for Property Managers in Alberta?

Note: Licensing bodies compare international education and experience to Canadian standards. 

In Alberta, to become a licensed Property Manager, applicants must study and pass the Real Estate Associates Program (REAP), consisting of the Fundamentals of Real Estate and the Practice of Property Management courses offered by RECA. For specific information, visit the Education Requirements for Property Managers web page on the RECA website.

What are the accepted English language proficiency tests and where can I be tested?

Applicants must successfully achieve the required passing score on one of the RECA approved English Language Tests. To learn more about where to take an English language proficiency test in Alberta, visit English Language Proficiency Tests and Locations.

What supports are available to support internationally educated professionals to integrate into the Canadian labour force?

Directions for Immigrants offers Clear Communications for Business to help you integrate into the Canadian work force. Topics include Active Listening, Assertiveness, Conflict Resolution, Problem Solving and Teamwork. Visit the Job Success Groups on the Study Groups page for more information on this service and eligibility criteria.

What information resources are available for Property Managers in Alberta?

Real Estate Council of Alberta (RECA) 

Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA) for commercial property management 

Canadian Federation of Apartment Associations for residential property management 

Real Estate Institute of Canada for commercial or residential property management 

Additional Occupational Information 

For more information on occupations, duties and wages, visit the