Dietitian / Nutritionist



Who is the licensing body responsible for Dietitians/Nutritionists in Alberta?

In Alberta, you must be registered with the College of Dietitians of Alberta (CDA) to practice as a Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist. Only registered members may use the protected titles Registered Dietitian, Registered Nutritionist, Dietitian, or the initials RD.

What are the registration requirements for internationally educated Dietitians/Nutritionists?

Internationally educated Dietitians/Nutritionists must 

1. Complete the Application Form as found on the CDA website 

2. Submit an Academic Assessment from an assessment agency approved by the CDA. These agencies include 

Note: Applicants are advised to request a Comprehensive Course by Course Report 

3. Submit Official Transcripts and Course Descriptions 

4. Submit verification of Practical Training /Internship 

5. Achieve the required passing score on one of the Language Fluency on one of the CDA approved English Language Tests: 

6. Provide a Criminal Record Check obtained within previous one year of application. 

7. Provide documentation of Work Experience and Continuing Education Verification (if applicable) within the three years prior to the application. 

Note: applicants are required to submit the appropriate fees with each step of the process. 

Note: For complete information on the registration requirements for internationally educated Dietitians/Nutritionists, visit the Internationally Educated Applicant page on the College of Dietitians of Alberta website. 

What are the educational requirements for Dietitians/Nutritionists in Alberta?

Note: Licensing bodies compare international education and experience to Canadian standards. 

The minimum education requirement is a four-year degree nutrition and dietetics followed by an internship that has been approved by the College of Dietitians of Alberta

In Alberta, the University of Alberta in Edmonton offers a four-year Bachelor of Science degree with a major in Nutrition (to be replaced by Dietetics Specialization in the fall 2016). 

 Post-secondary institutions throughout the province offer university transfer programs that allow students to apply up to two years of study toward university bachelor's degree programs. It is the student's responsibility to ensure that the courses they choose to take will be accepted for credit at the institution to which they wish to transfer.

What are the accepted English language proficiency tests and where can I be tested?

Applicants must successfully achieve the required passing score on one of the CDA approved English Language Tests. These are TOEFL and IELTS. To learn more about where to take an English language proficiency test in Alberta, visit English Language Proficiency Tests and Locations.

What resources and supports are available for internationally educated Dietitians/Nutritionists?

Directions for Immigrants offers Clear Communications for Business to help you integrate into the Canadian work force. Topics include Active Listening, Assertiveness, Conflict Resolution, Problem Solving and Teamwork. Visit the Study Groups page for more information on this service and eligibility criteria.

What information resources are available for Dietitians/Nutritionists in Alberta?

College of Dietitians of Alberta 

Additional Occupational Information 

For more information on occupations, duties and wages, visit 

Health Sciences Association of Alberta (HSAA) - labour union representing paramedical technical, professional and general support employees in the public and private health-care sectors of Alberta