Health Care Aide



What are the requirements for internationally educated Health Care Aides?

There is no licensing authority to regulate the profession of Health Care Aide in Alberta. Employers generally prefer applicants who have related training or experience and can satisfy security clearance requirements.

What are the educational requirements for Health Care Aides in Alberta?

Alberta Health has developed a standard curriculum for Health Care Aide training that is offered by post-secondary education institutions throughout the province:

ABES (Alberta Business and Educational Services) in Calgary (private vocational school)
Alberta Caregiving Institute – Edmonton General Hospital (formerly Camrose Caregiving Institute) (private vocational school)
ABM College of Health and Technology in Calgary (private vocational school)
Academy of Learning in Edmonton, Calgary, Medicine Hat and Red Deer (private vocational school)
Bow Valley College in Calgary
Bredin Institute-Centre for Learning in Edmonton (private vocational school)
Cambrooks College (private vocational school)
CLI College of Business, Health and Technology, in Edmonton (private vocational school)
Columbia College in Calgary (private vocational school)
Evergreen College in Calgary (private vocational school)
Excel Academy in Edmonton (private vocational school)
Health Care Aide Academy in Red Deer (private vocational school)
Keyano College in Fort McMurray
Lakeland College
Lethbridge College
Medicine Hat College
MTG Healthcare Academy in Calgary (private vocational school)
Nightingale Academy in Edmonton (private vocational school)
NorQuest College in Edmonton
Northern Lakes College in the Slave Lake region
Portage College in Lac La Biche, Bonnyville and Cold Lake
Red Deer College
Robertson College in Calgary (private vocational school)
Rosewood College in Calgary (private vocational school)
Sprott-Shaw Community College in Calgary and Edmonton (private vocational school)
Training Inc. in Lethbridge (private vocational school)

What are the accepted English language proficiency tests and where can I be tested?

Educational institutions generally provide English language programs. However, most educational institutions accept the following English tests: TOEFL, IELTS, and CLB. To learn more about where to take an English language proficiency test in Alberta, visit English Language Proficiency Tests and Locations.

What supports are available to support internationally educated health professionals to integrate into the Canadian labour force?

Directions for Immigrants, Clear Communication for Health Professionals 

Developed for health care professionals, Clear Communication for Health Professionals is a facilitated study group that focuses on the essence of effective communication in a health care setting. Participants will learn more about Canadian workplace culture, developing effective listening skills and other techniques designed to help you succeed in the workplace. Please visit the Job Success Groups tab on the Study Groups page.

What information resources are available for Health Care Aides in Alberta?

Alberta Health

Health Sciences Association of Alberta (HSAA) 

Additional Occupational Information 

For more information on occupations, duties and wages, visit