Hearing Aid Practitioner



Who is the licensing body responsible for Hearing Aid Practitioners in Alberta?

In Alberta, you must be registered with the College of Hearing Aid Practitioners of Alberta to practice as a Hearing Aid Practitioner. Only registered members may call themselves Hearing Aid Practitioners.

What are the registration requirements for internationally educated Hearing Aid Practitioners?

Internationally educated Hearing Aid Practitioners must 

• apply to CHAPA 
• provide transcripts and photocopy of diploma; transcripts must identify coursework in hearing aid technology, dispensing and general knowledge of hearing health 
• provide two written character references 
• provide an International Assessment of Credentials 
• apply for Associate membership with the College of Hearing Aid Practitioners of Alberta
• pass the CHAPA Competency exam 
• after passing the Competency Exam, apply to have Associate membership moved to the Temporary Register as a Hearing Aid Practitioner
 • pass the NBC-HIS exam within two years of registration as a regulated member of the College
• apply to have the Temporary Membership moved to the General Register 

Note: Applicants are required to submit the appropriate fees with each step of the process. 

For complete information on the registration requirements for internationally educated applicants, visit the Individuals Educated Outside of Canada page on the College of Hearing Aid Practitioners website.

What are the educational requirements for Hearing Aid Practitioners in Alberta?

Note: Licensing bodies compare international education and experience to Canadian standards. 

Hearing Aid Practitioners complete a minimum of two years of post-secondary education in hearing aid dispensing. 

In Alberta, MacEwan University offers a two-year Hearing Aid Practitioner diploma program through distance learning.

What are the accepted English language proficiency tests and where can I be tested?

There are no formal English requirements for Hearing Aid Practitioners; however, Hearing Aid Practitioners must have a high level of English in the areas of reading, writing, speaking and listening skills in order to be successful in the profession.  To learn more about where to take an English language proficiency test in Alberta, visit English Language Proficiency Tests and Locations.

What supports are available to support internationally educated health professionals to integrate into the Canadian labour force?

Directions for Immigrants, Clear Communication for Health Professionals 

Developed for health care professionals, Clear Communication for Health Professionals is a facilitated study group that focuses on the essence of effective communication in a health care setting. Participants will learn more about Canadian workplace culture, developing effective listening skills and other techniques designed to help you succeed in the workplace. Please visit the Job Success Groups tab on the Study Groups page.

What information resources are available for Hearing Aid Practitioners in Alberta?

College of Hearing Aid Practitioners of Alberta 

Additional Occupational Information 

For more information on occupations, duties and wages, visit