Who is the licensing body responsible for Microbiologists in Alberta?

Only registered members may call themselves a Professional Biologist (P.Biol.), Registered Biologist (R. Biol.)Biologist in Training (BIT), Registered Technologist in Biology (R.T. Biol.), Registered Biological Technologist in Training (RBIT), or Biology Technician in Training (BTT) or use the acronym that signifies these professions. 

You do not have to be registered with the Alberta Society of Professional Biologists (ASPB) if you do not use these regulated titles.

What are the registration requirements for internationally educated Microbiologists?

Internationally educated Microbiologists must 

1. Apply to the Alberta Society of Professional Biologists. 

2. Submit an International Qualification Assessment Service (IQAS) assessment of your education. This must include a completed Description of Course Work application. 

3. Have a minimum of three years of experience acceptable to ASPB. 

4. Provide three professional references, one of whom needs to be a regulated professional.  

5. Write and pass the ethics course.  

Note: Documents that are not in English must be translated. Translation services can be found on the Association of Translators and Interpreters of Alberta website. 

For complete information on registering as a Professional Microbiologist, visit the ASPB website.

What are the educational requirements for Microbiologists in Alberta?

Note: Licensing bodies compare international education and experience to Canadian standards. 

In Alberta, to become a Professional Biologist, applicants must hold a four-year undergraduate degree and/or graduate degree, meeting the minimum number of science and biological sciences courses. For specific information, visit the Professional Biologist page of ASPB. 

In Alberta, the University of Alberta in Edmonton, the University of Calgary and the University of Lethbridge offer master's and doctoral programs in biological sciences. 

The following post-secondary institutions offer four-year bachelor's degree programs in biological sciences that include courses in microbiology: 

University of Alberta in Edmonton 

University of Calgary in Calgary 

University of Lethbridge in Lethbridge

What are the accepted English language proficiency tests and where can I be tested?

There are no formal English requirements for Microbiologists; however, Microbiologists must have a high level of English in the areas of reading, writing, speaking and listening skills in order to be successful in the profession. To learn more about where to take an English language proficiency test in Alberta, visit English Language Proficiency Tests and Locations.

What information resources are available for Microbiologists in Alberta?

Alberta Society of Professional Biologists 

Additional Occupational Information 

For more information on occupations, duties and wages, visit