Who is the registering body responsible for regulating Midwives in Alberta?

In Alberta, you must be registered with the College of Midwives of Alberta (CMA) to practise as a Midwife. Only registered members may call themselves Midwives.

What are the registration requirements for midwives?

Internationally educated midwifes must 

1. Have attended formal training in midwifery, which is substantially equivalent to a Midwifery Bachelor’s Degree from a Canadian University. Have attended the minimum number of births as set out in the Application for Assessment of Eligibility for Registration as a Midwife Instruction and Example Booklet

2. Complete the Self Assessment Readiness Tool™ (SART™) for Midwife (highly recommended)

5. Pass the Application for Assessment of Eligibility 

6. Pass the Multi-Faceted Assessment (CMRE and OSCE)

7. Submit 
     a. Application for Registration 
     b. Current certification in CPR, Obstetrical Emergency Skills, Neonatal Resuscitation and Fetal Health Surveillance 
     c. Current Criminal Record Check (within one year) 
     d. Registration Fee 

For complete information on registration requirements for internationally educated midwives, visit 


What are the educational requirements for Midwives in Alberta?

Note: Regulatory bodies compare international education and experience to Canadian standards. 

The educational requirement for registration in Alberta is to have satisfactorily completed a program of studies approved by the Alberta Health Disciplines Board (HDB) or a program that is substantially equivalent to a four-year Canadian university midwifery degree program; The HDB has only approved Canadian programs. 

In Alberta, Mount Royal University in Calgary offers a four-year Bachelor of Midwifery (BMid) program.

What training programs or services are available for internationally educated midwives?

There are no training programmes or services for internationally educated midwives in Alberta at this time.

What are the accepted English language proficiency tests and where can I be tested?

Applicants must successfully achieve the required passing score on one of the CMA-approved English Language Tests: TOEFL (95) or IELTS (7.0).To learn more about where to take an English language proficiency test in Alberta, visit English Language Proficiency Tests and Locations.

What supports are available to support internationally educated health professionals to integrate into the Canadian labour force?

Directions for Immigrants, Clear Communication for Health Professionals 

Developed for health care professionals, Clear Communication for Health Professionals is a facilitated study group that focuses on the essence of effective communication in a health care setting. Participants will learn more about Canadian workplace culture, developing effective listening skills and other techniques designed to help you succeed in the workplace. Please visit the Job Success Groups tab on the Study Groups page.

What resources are available for Midwives in Alberta?

Alberta Association of Midwives (AAM) 

Additional Occupational Information 

For more information on occupations, duties and wages, visit