Nurse Practitioner



Who is the licensing body responsible for Nurse Practitioners in Alberta?

In Alberta, you must be registered with the College and Association of Registered Nurses of (CARNA) to practice as a Nurse Practitioner. Only members of the College and Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta (CARNA) on the nurse practitioner roster may call themselves or practice as a Nurse Practitioner.

What are the licensure requirements for internationally educated Nurse Practitioners?

Internationally educated Nurse Practitioners must

1.  Meet the licensure requirements for a Registered Nurse in Alberta. Please visit the Occupational Profile for Registered Nurses.

2.  Complete a Nurse Practitioner program in Canada OR have received approval from the Registration Committee for a Nurse Practitioner program that was completed outside of Canada.

3.  Pass the Canadian Nurse Practitioner Examination (CNPE) or other exam acceptable to CARNA.

For more information, please visit the Internationally Educated NP Applicants page on the CARNA website.

What are the accepted English language proficiency tests and where can I be tested?

Applicants must successfully achieve the required passing score on one of the CARNA approved English proficiency tests. This includes: CELBAN or IELTS. To learn more about where to take an English language proficiency test in Alberta, visit English Language Proficiency Tests and Locations.

How can I prepare for the NCLEX-RN?

Directions for Immigrants offers Study Groups to help you prepare for the NCLEX-RN. Visit the Study Groups page for more information on this service and eligibility criteria.

What are the educational requirements for Nurse Practitioners in Alberta?

Note: Licensing bodies compare international education and experience to Canadian standards.

Nurse practitioners start their careers as Registered Nurses (Registered Nurses have basic education in all health areas).

After 4500 hours of clinical nursing experience, the recommended education route is a master's degree in advanced nursing practice.

In Alberta, the following post-secondary institutions offer master's degree programs in nursing:

Athabasca University, distance
University of Alberta in Edmonton
University of Calgary in Calgary

What supports are available to support internationally educated health professionals to integrate into the Canadian labour force?

Directions for Immigrants, Clear Communication for Health Professionals 

Developed for health care professionals, Clear Communication for Health Professionals is a facilitated study group that focuses on the essence of effective communication in a health care setting. Participants will learn more about Canadian workplace culture, developing effective listening skills and other techniques designed to help you succeed in the workplace. Please visit the Job Success Groups tab on the Study Groups page.

What information resources are available for Nurse Practitioners in Alberta?

Canadian Federation of Nurses Unions (CFNU) 

Canadian Nurses Association (CNA)

College and Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta (CARNA) 

National Council of State Boards of Nursing 

National Nursing Assessment Service

Nurse Practitioner Association of Alberta

United Nurses of Alberta (UNA)

Additional Occupational Information 

For more information on occupations, duties and wages, visit