Occupational Therapist



Who is the licensing body responsible for Occupational Therapists in Alberta?

In Alberta, you must be registered with the Alberta College of Occupational Therapists (ACOT) to practice as an Occupational Therapist. Only registered members may call themselves Registered Occupational Therapists, Occupational Therapists or use the acronym OT.

What are the registration requirements for internationally educated Occupational Therapists?

Internationally educated Occupational Therapists must 

    a. Submit Academic Credential Assessment (ASA) from World Education Services (WES) 

    b. Complete a Profession-Specific Credential Assessment – PSCA) 

    c. Write and pass the Jurisprudence Knowledge Assessment Test 

    d. Complete and pass the Competency Assessment 

    e. Demonstrate language proficiency as determined by the provincial association where you intend to work 

5. Once you receive approval, register with the Alberta College of Occupational Therapists (ACOT) 

     NOTE: you have one year in which to complete the entire process.

6. Upon approval by ACOT, applicants will be registered as a Provisional Occupational Therapist. An occupational therapist on the Provisional Register may practice only under the supervision of a regulated member registered on the General Register. A minimum of eight weeks of full-time practice or equivalent is required, after which the Supervising Occupational Therapist will submit an evaluation to ACOT. 

     NOTE: Registration on the Provisional Register may be valid for up to one year. 

7. Upon completion of the supervisory period and the successful completion of the national certification exam and completion of any coursework or training requirements, the applicant will be registered as a Registered Occupational Therapist. 

What are the educational requirements for Occupational Therapists in Alberta?

McMaster’s University Occupational Therapy Examination Preparation Program (OTepp) 

 OTepp offers a certificate program that aims to assist re-entry and internationally educated occupational therapists to meet their learning needs in order to successfully transition into Canadian practice. It is offered by the School of Rehabilitation Sciences at McMaster University.

What are the accepted English language proficiency tests and where can I be tested?

Applicants are not required to provide proof of English language proficiency; however, to work in the profession, applicants must be able to communicate safely and effectively in the practice of OT. To learn more about where to take an English language proficiency test in Alberta, visit English Language Proficiency Tests and Locations.

What supports are available to support internationally educated health professionals to integrate into the Canadian labour force?

Directions for Immigrants, Clear Communication for Health Professionals 

Developed for health care professionals, Clear Communication for Health Professionals is a facilitated study group that focuses on the essence of effective communication in a health care setting. Participants will learn more about Canadian workplace culture, developing effective listening skills and other techniques designed to help you succeed in the workplace. Please visit the Job Success Groups tab on the Study Groups page.

What information resources are available for Occupational Therapists in Alberta?

Alberta College of Occupational Therapists (ACOT) 

Additional Occupational Information 

For more information on occupations, duties and wages, visit