Who is the licensing body responsible for Physiotherapists in Alberta?

In Alberta, you must be registered with the Physiotherapy Alberta College and Association to practice as a Physiotherapist. Only registered members may call themselves Physiotherapists or Physical Therapists, or use the words physiotherapy or physical therapy to describe or refer to their practice, occupation, profession or business.

What are the licensure requirements for internationally educated Physiotherapists?

Internationally educated Physiotherapists must 

1. Ensure that you meet the criteria laid out in the Criteria to Meet section of the Internationally Educated web page. 

NOTE: Before applying, read the Credentialing Application Process Guide and Credentialing Policies to ensure you are eligible to apply. 

2. Apply to the Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapy Regulators for an evaluation of your education and experience. See the Credentialing Policies for the criteria that must be met in order for your training to be considered to be substantially equivalent to Canadian training. 

For complete information on the registration requirements for internationally educated Physiotherapists, visit the Internationally Educated page on the Physiotherapy Alberta College and Association website.

What are the educational requirements for Physiotherapists in Alberta?

Note: Licensing bodies compare international education and experience to Canadian standards. 

In Alberta, Physiotherapists are required to hold a Master’s degree in Physical Therapy.

In Alberta, the University of Alberta in Edmonton offer a Master’s degree program in Physical Therapy.

What training programs or services are available for internationally educated Physiotherapists?

University of Alberta (U of A) Alberta Internationally Educated Physiotherapists Bridging Program 

The U of A Internationally Educated Physiotherapists Bridging Program is a part-time program over 14 months and includes a mandatory clinical internship. 

Interpersonal Skills Training 

Directions for Immigrants, Clear Communication for Health Professionals 

Developed for health care professionals, Clear Communication for Health Professionals is a facilitated study group that focuses on the essence of effective communication in a health care setting. Participants will learn more about Canadian workplace culture, developing effective listening skills and other techniques designed to help you succeed in the workplace. Please visit the Job Success Groups tab on the Study Groups page.

What are the accepted English language proficiency tests and where can I be tested?

Applicants must successfully achieve the required passing score on one of the Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapist Regulators approved English Language Tests. These include TOEFL, CanTEST, IELTS, or TESTcan (French). To learn more about where to take an English language proficiency test in Alberta, visit English Language Proficiency Tests and Locations.

What information resources are available for Physiotherapists in Alberta?

Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapy Regulators 

Additional Occupational Information 

For more information on occupations, duties and wages, visit