Who is the licensing body responsible for Biologists in Alberta?

Only registered members may call themselves a Professional Biologist (P.Biol.), Registered Biologist (R. Biol.)Biologist in Training (BIT), Registered Technologist in Biology (R.T. Biol.), Registered Biological Technologist in Training (RBIT), or Biology Technician in Training (BTT) or use the acronym that signifies these professions. 

You do not have to be registered with the Alberta Society of Professional Biologists (ASPB) if you do not use these regulated titles.

What are the registration requirements for internationally educated Biologists?

Internationally educated Biologists must 

1. Apply to the Alberta Society of Professional Biologists. 

2. Submit an International Qualification Assessment Service (IQAS) assessment of your education. This must include a completed Description of Course Work application. 

3. Have a minimum of three years of experience acceptable to ASPB. 

4. Provide three professional references, one of whom needs to be a regulated professional. 

5. Write and pass the ethics course. 

Note: Documents that are not in English must be translated. Translation services can be found on the Association of Translators and Interpreters of Alberta website. 

For complete information on registering as a Professional Biologist, visit the ASPB website.

What are the educational requirements for Biologists in Alberta?

Note: Licensing bodies compare international education and experience to Canadian standards. 

In Alberta, to become a Professional Biologist, applicants must hold a four-year undergraduate degree and/or graduate degree, meeting the minimum number of science and biological sciences courses. For specific information, visit the Professional Biologist page of ASPB. 

In Alberta, the University of Alberta in Edmonton, the University of Calgary and the University of Lethbridge offer master's and doctoral programs in biological sciences. 

The following post-secondary institutions offer four-year bachelor's degree programs in biological sciences: 

Burman University in Lacombe - Note: only the four-year degrees are eligible for membership with the ASPB.

Concordia University College of Alberta in Edmonton 

University of Alberta in Edmonton 

University of Calgary in Calgary 

University of Lethbridge in Lethbridge 

The following institutes offer Accredited Post-Secondary Diploma Programs:  

• Lethbridge Community College in Lethbridge 

 Lakeland College in Vermillion

What are the accepted English language proficiency tests and where can I be tested?

There are no formal English requirements for Biologists; however, Biologists must have a high level of English in the areas of reading, writing, speaking and listening skills in order to be successful in the profession. To learn more about where to take an English language proficiency test in Alberta, visit English Language Proficiency Tests and Locations.

What supports are available to support internationally educated professionals to integrate into the Canadian labour force?

Directions for Immigrants offers Clear Communications for Business to help you integrate into the Canadian work force. Topics include Active Listening, Assertiveness, Conflict Resolution, Problem Solving and Teamwork. Visit the Job Success Groups on the Study Groups page for more information on this service and eligibility criteria.

What information resources are available for Biologists in Alberta?

Alberta Society of Professional Biologists  

Additional Occupational Information

For more information on occupations, duties and wages, visit