Speech Language Pathologist



Who is the regulatory body responsible for Speech-Language Pathologists in Alberta?

In Alberta, you must be registered with the Alberta College of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists (ACSLPA) in order to work in clinical, administrative, teaching or research settings, or to volunteer as a speech-language pathologist. Only regulated ACSLPA members may use the following protected titles of the profession: Speech-Language Pathologist, Speech Therapist, Speech Pathologist, SLP or R.SLP.

What are the registration requirements for internationally educated Speech- Language Pathologists?

Internationally educated speech-language pathologists are required to have 

• Master’s degree or equivalent in speech-language pathology 

• Minimum of 350 supervised clinical practicum hours obtained in the academic degree 

• Academic credentials assessment obtained from one of the following credentialing agencies: 

• A language proficiency test if your first language is not English, from one of the following agencies: 


• Professional liability insurance if not provided by your employer 

• Satisfactory police information check, including a Vulnerable Sector Check (PIC/VSC)http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cr-cj/index-eng.htm 

Note: Internationally educated speech-language pathologists who are new to Canada must provide their original Immigration Identification Card or Permanent Resident Card. ACSLPA will keep a copy of the document. 

• Letters of reference 

• Current qualifications 

• Internationally educated applicants must successfully complete the certification examination offered by Speech-Language & Audiology Canada (SAC).   

Upon successful completion of ACSLPA assessment and SAC certification exam, applicants will be eligible for conditional registration with ACSLPA. Conditional registration requires that you practice under the supervision of an approved speech-language pathologist for a minimum of twelve (12) weeks. When the supervisory period is successfully completed, the conditional registration will be changed to a full registration. 

For further information, please see the ACSLPA Registration Standards and Guidelines.

What is the role of Speech-Language & Audiology Canada (SAC)?

SAC is a national, professional member association and offers a certification exam for speech-language pathologists (and one for audiologists), which may be written by internationally trained applicants at ACSLPA’s request. ACSLPA completes the assessment of the applicant's coursework and clinical practice hours, which must cover the areas described in the ACSLPA Registration Standards and Guidelines. These requirements are based on the Academic Equivalency Framework established by the Canadian Alliance of Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology Regulators (CAASPR). 

The exam is offered twice a year; applicants have up to three chances to successfully complete the exam. Applicants are encouraged to be aware of exam fees, registration deadlines, locations, and turnaround time of exam results. The SAC website provides this information, as well as recommended resources to prepare for the exam. Applicants may also apply to become a member of SAC.

What are the educational requirements for Speech-Language Pathologists in Alberta?

Note: Regulatory bodies compare international education and experience to Canadian standards. 

In Canada, the minimum education requirement for speech-language pathologists is a master’s degree in speech-language pathology. 

The University of Alberta in Edmonton offers a Master of Science degree program in Speech-Language Pathology that has a course based option and a thesis based option. The entrance requirement is a four-year bachelor’s degree (in a discipline other than speech-language pathology) with specified prerequisite courses (for example, linguistics, psychology) and a grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.0/4.0. 

A clinical practicum in a hospital, private clinic, rehabilitation centre or health care facility is required before graduation. 

Universities and colleges throughout Alberta offer four-year bachelor's degree programs that can provide suitable preparation for a master's degree program in speech-language pathology. Admission requirements vary from one post-secondary institution and program to another. 

What is the accepted English language proficiency test and where can I be tested?

Applicants whose first language is not English must demonstrate English language proficiency by completing testing through one of the following agencies: 

To learn more about where to take an English language proficiency test in Alberta, visit English Language Proficiency Tests and Locations

Note: SAC considers English to be the first language of the applicant if 

1) it is the language primarily used by the applicant for reading, writing, listening and speaking in the workplace 


2) it is the language in which the applicant is most comfortable and proficient

What supports are available to support internationally educated health professionals to integrate into the Canadian labour force?

Directions for Immigrants, Clear Communication for Health Professionals 

Developed for health care professionals, Clear Communication for Health Professionals is a facilitated study group that focuses on the essence of effective communication in a health care setting. Participants will learn more about Canadian workplace culture, developing effective listening skills and other techniques designed to help you succeed in the workplace. Please visit the Job Success Groups tab on the Study Groups page.

What information resources are available for Speech-Language Pathologists in Alberta?

Alberta College of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists (ACSLPA) 

Additional Occupational Information

For more information on occupations, duties and wages, visit