Who is the licensing body responsible for Chemists in Alberta?

In Alberta, Chemists are not required to be licensed; however, you must be registered with the Association of the Chemical Profession of Alberta (ACPA) to practice as a Professional Chemist. 

Note: many employers request the P.Chem. or CIT designation. 

Only registered members may call themselves a Professional Chemist (P.Chem.), Chemist-in-Training (C.I.T.), Provisional Professional Chemist (P.Chem.Prov.), Professional Technologist in Chemistry (P.Tech.Chem.), Registered Chemist (R.Chem), Registered Chemist-in-Training (R.C.I.T.), Registered Technologist in Chemistry (R.T.Chem.), or Chemical Technologist-in-Training (C.T.T.) or use the acronym that signifies these professions.

What are the requirements for Internationally Educated Chemists?

Internationally educated Professional Chemists must 

1. Apply to the ACPA

2. Submit an International Qualification Assessment Service (IQAS) assessment of your education. This must include a completed Description of Course Work application. 

3. Have a minimum of four years of experience, including a minimum of one year of Canadian experience, acceptable to ACPA before registering as a P.Chem. 

NOTE: If applicants have the academic qualifications but lack the Canadian work experience, applicants may be eligible for the Chemist in Training (CIT) designation. 

NOTE: Documents that are not in English must be translated by a certified translator. Translation services can be found on the Association of Translators and Interpreters of Alberta website.

What are the educational requirements for Chemists in Alberta?

NOTE: Licensing bodies compare international education and experience to Canadian standards. 

In Alberta, to become a Professional Chemist, applicants must hold a four-year undergraduate degree and/or graduate degree, meeting the minimum number of science and chemical sciences courses. For specific information, visit the Professional Development page of ACPA. 

In Alberta, the following post-secondary institutions offer four-year degree programs in chemistry: 

Athabasca University – distance education 

MacEwan University in Edmonton 

University of Alberta in Edmonton 

University of Calgary in Calgary 

University of Lethbridge in Lethbridge 

In Alberta, the following post-secondary institutions offer courses in chemistry: 

SAIT Polytechnic (SAIT) in Calgary 

Red Deer College in Red Deer

Mount Royal University in Calgary

Keyano College in Fort McMurray

What are the accepted English language proficiency tests and where can I be tested?

There are no formal English requirements for Chemists; however, Chemists must have a high level of English in the areas of reading, writing, speaking and listening skills in order to be successful in the profession. To learn more about where to take an English language proficiency test in Alberta, visit English Language Proficiency Tests and Locations.

What supports are available to support internationally educated professionals to integrate into the Canadian labour force?

Directions for Immigrants offers Clear Communications for Business to help you integrate into the Canadian work force. Topics include Active Listening, Assertiveness, Conflict Resolution, Problem Solving and Teamwork. Visit the Job Success Groups on the Study Groups page for more information on this service and eligibility criteria.

What resources are available for Chemists in Alberta?

Association of the Chemical Profession of Alberta (ACPA) 

Additional Occupational Information 

For more information on occupations, duties and wages, visit the