Who is the regulatory body responsible for Audiologists in Alberta?

In Alberta, you must be registered with the Alberta College of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists (ACSLPA) in order to work in clinical, administrative, teaching or research settings, or to volunteer as an audiologist. Only regulated ACSLPA members may use the following protected titles of the profession: Audiologist, Aud. or R. Aud.

What are the registration requirements for internationally educated Audiologists?

Internationally educated audiologists are required to have:

• Master's degree or equivalent in audiology

• Minimum of 350 supervised clinical practicum hours obtained in the academic degree

• Academic credentials assessment obtained from one of the following credentialing agencies:

International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS)
World Education Services (WES)
University of Toronto – Comparative Education Service
International Credential Evaluation Service (ICES)

• A language proficiency test from one of agencies approved by SAC if your first language is not English

• Professional liability insurance if not provided by your employer

• Satisfactory police information check, including a Vulnerable Sector Check (PIC/VSC) 

Note: Internationally educated audiologists who are new to Canada must provide their original Immigration Identification Card or Permanent Resident Card. ACSLPA will keep a copy of the document.

• Letters of reference

• Current qualifications

• Successfully complete the certification examination offered by Speech-Language & Audiology Canada (SAC).

Upon successful completion of ACSLPA assessment and SAC certification exam, applicants will be eligible for conditional registration with ACSLPA. Conditional registration requires that you practice under the supervision of an approved audiologist for a minimum of twelve (12) weeks. When the supervisory period is successfully completed, the conditional registration will be changed to a full registration.

For further information, please see the
ACSLPA Registration Standards and Guidelines.

What is the role of Speech-Language Pathology & Audiology Canada (SAC)?

SAC is a national, professional member association and offers a certification exam for audiologists (and one for speech-language pathologists), which may be written by internationally trained applicants at ACSLPA’s request. ACSLPA completes the assessment of the coursework and clinical practice hours, which must cover the areas described in the ACSLPA Registration Standards and Guidelines. These requirements are based on the Academic Equivalency Framework established by the Canadian Alliance of Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology Regulators (CAASPR).

The exam is offered twice a year; applicants have up to three chances to successfully complete the exam. Applicants are encouraged to be aware of exam fees, registration deadlines, locations, and turnaround time of exam results. The SAC website provides this information, as well as recommended resources to prepare for the exam. Applicants may also apply to become a member of SAC.

What are the educational requirements for Audiologists in Alberta?

Note: Regulatory bodies compare international education and experience to Canadian standards.

In Canada, the minimum education requirement for audiologists is a master's degree in audiology. Admission to master's degree programs generally requires an acceptable average in a four year bachelor's degree program with specified courses.

In Canada, Master’s degree programs in audiology are offered by:
University of Western Ontario in London, Ontario
University of British Columbia in Vancouver
Dalhousie University in Halifax
University of Montreal (instruction in French)
University of Ottawa (instruction in French)

A clinical practicum in a hospital, private hearing clinic, rehabilitation centre or health care facility is required before graduation.

Universities and colleges throughout Alberta offer bachelor's degree programs that can provide suitable preparation for a master's degree program in audiology. Admission requirements for bachelor's degree programs vary from one post-secondary institution and program to another.

What is the accepted English language proficiency test and where can I be tested?

Applicants whose first language is not English must demonstrate English language proficiency by completing testing through one of the following agencies:

Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)

International English Language Testing System (IELTS)


To learn more about where to take an English language proficiency test in Alberta, visit
English Language Proficiency Tests and Locations.

Note: English is considered the first language of the applicant if

1) it is the language primarily used by the applicant for reading, writing, listening and speaking in the workplace


2) it is the language in which the applicant is most comfortable and proficient

What supports are available to support internationally educated health professionals to integrate into the Canadian labour force?

Directions for Immigrants, Clear Communication for Health Professionals 

Developed for health care professionals, Clear Communication for Health Professionals is a facilitated study group that focuses on the essence of effective communication in a health care setting. Participants will learn more about Canadian workplace culture, developing effective listening skills and other techniques designed to help you succeed in the workplace. Please visit the Job Success Groups tab on the Study Groups page.

What information resources are available for Audiologists in Alberta?

Alberta College of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists (ACSLPA)

Canadian Academy of Audiology

Health Sciences Association of Alberta (HSAA)

National Centre for Audiology

Speech-Language & Audiology Canada (SAC) 

Additional Occupational Information 

For more information on occupations, duties and wages, visit