Who is the licensing body responsible for Engineers and Geoscientists in Alberta?

In Alberta, you must be registered with the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA) to practice as a Professional Engineer (P. Eng.) or Geoscientist (P.Geo). You cannot call yourself a Professional Engineer or Geoscientist nor use the word Engineer or Geoscientist in your job title unless you are registered with APEGA. Note: While you may not call yourself a Professional Engineer or Geoscientist unless accredited by APEGA, you may work under the direct supervision of a P. Eng. or P.Geo while working on your registration.

What are the licensure requirements for internationally educated Engineers/Geoscientists?

Professional Member

Requirements To be eligible to apply as a Professional Member with APEGA, you must meet the following minimum requirements: 
A. is recognized by the Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board (for engineering applicants) 
B. meets the requirements of the Geoscience Knowledge and Experience Requirements (for geoscience applicants) 
C. is a related program that the APEGA Board of Examiners considers to be equivalent to the above Academic Assessments

If your post-secondary degrees are from a university outside of Canada, you must obtain an academic assessment of your academic records.

What resources and supports are available for internationally educated Engineers/Geoscientists?

Directions for Immigrants offers Study Groups to help you prepare for the NPPE and the FE exams. Visit the Study Groups page for more information on this service and eligibility criteria.   

The APEGA Mentoring Program offers members an opportunity to partner with an experienced individual who can provide advice and assistance with the engineering/geoscientist profession in Alberta. Additional services for members can be found on the APEGA website. 

Directions for Immigrants offers Clear Communications for Business to help you integrate into the Canadian work force. Topics include Active Listening, Assertiveness, Conflict Resolution, Problem Solving and Teamwork. Visit the Job Success Groups on the Study Groups page for more information on this service and eligibility criteria.

What are the educational requirements for Engineers and Geoscientists in Alberta?

Note: Licensing bodies compare international education and experience to Canadian standards.

The course requirements can be found under the APEGA website under SYLLABI.

In Alberta, the following universities offer degrees in engineering:

• The University of Alberta in Edmonton
• The University of Calgary in Calgary

Note: Before studying engineering at other Canadian institutions, please ensure that the program has been accredited by the Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board (CEAB).

Where can I find more information about Engineering/Geoscientists occupations, salary information and employment options?

Engineers Canada

Additional Occupational Information 

For more information on occupations, duties and wages, visit