Who is the regulatory body responsible for overseeing professional Foresters in Alberta?

In Alberta, you must be registered with the College of Alberta Professional Foresters (CAPF) to use the protected titles or acronyms reserved for registered members: Registered Professional Forester (RPF), Professional Forester (PFor), Registered Forester (RF), Forester-In-Training (FIT). Registration is mandatory if you meet identified competency requirements (via education and/or practical experience) and intend to practice forestry on public lands.

What are the registration requirements for internationally educated Foresters?

Internationally educated Professional Foresters must 

1. If currently employed in the industry, determine whether your employment fall under the Scope of Practice as defined by the Regulated Forestry Profession Act

2. Apply to the CAPF 

NOTE: If documents are not in English, certified translations must be provided. The Association of Translators and Interpreters of Alberta provides translation services. 

4. If any discrepancies have been identified, complete any course work assigned. 

5. Once all the academic requirements are complete, obtain 24 months of practical work experience under the supervision of a Sponsoring Forester

6. Write and pass the CAPF Professional Exam on legislation and policy. 

7. Apply for a Practice Permit from CAPF. 

8. Determine whether you need to carry Liability Insurance

For complete information on registering to become a Registered Forester in Alberta, visit the College of Alberta Professional Foresters website.

What are the educational requirements for Foresters in Alberta?

In Alberta, the University of Alberta in Edmonton offers four-year Bachelor of Science degree programs in Forestry and Forest Business Management. 

What are the accepted English language proficiency tests and where can I be tested?

There are no formal English requirements for Foresters; however, Foresters must have a high level of English in the areas of reading, writing, speaking and listening skills in order to be successful in the profession. To learn more about where to take an English language proficiency test in Alberta, visit English Language Proficiency Tests and Locations.

What supports are available to support internationally educated professionals to integrate into the Canadian labour force?

Directions for Immigrants offers Clear Communications for Business to help you integrate into the Canadian work force. Topics include Active Listening, Assertiveness, Conflict Resolution, Problem Solving and Teamwork. Visit the Job Success Groups on the Study Groups page for more information on this service and eligibility criteria.

What information resources are available for Foresters in Alberta?

College of Alberta Professional Foresters

For more information on occupations, duties and wages, visit