Have your English language level assessed

English language is one of the most important skills required by Canadian employers. You will need to have your English language level assessed to have access to employment and educational services for newcomers. There are language testing centres in all major cities in Canada. In Calgary, you can have your English level tested at the Calgary Language Assessment & Referral Centre (CLARC) (formerly ILVARC). This centre will assess the level of your English language skills in four areas: listening, speaking, reading and writing and refer you to appropriate language schools. Once you have been tested, you will be able to access government funded language training if your Canadian Language Benchmarks are below 6.

Below you'll find a list of tests to assess your English language level. Each website would have links to the test locations and dates.

  • Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB)
  • Canadian English Language Benchmark Assessment for Nurses (CELBAN)
  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
  • Test of English for International Communication (TOEIC)
  • Online Self Assessment for Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB-OSA)
  • Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL)
  • Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP)
  • Occupational English Test (OET)