Exploring Labour Market Information
Learn how to use labour market information to help you in your career
Labour Market Information (LMI) is the information we need to make better decisions about our jobs and our career. LMI is also about current work and job environments in specific regions including information about specific companies, industries and occupations. There are many sources of labour market information. They include:
- Newspaper articles
- Industry reports
- Business directories
- Trade magazines
- Trends (economic, demographic, technological and global)
- Industry events and much more
- Developing the skills needed to recognize what impact labour market information sources have on your career will help you make better choices.
At Directions for Immigrants, the How to Information Interview workshop teaches you the skills to identify labour market information and take action to build opportunity through professional networking.
- The Calgary Economic Development website contains excellent information on Alberta’s key industries and companies.
- The Economic Development and Trade website contains information on the Alberta economy and key industries.
- Alberta Learning Information Service (ALIS) is a provincial website that contains information on career planning, education and training, job search, labour market trends, and workplace issues.
- The Moving to Alberta website offers resources for immigrants and refugees including support programs, obtaining work, and applying for temporary and permanent residency.