Find helpful tips that should be considered before you arrive in Canada

First, it is important to identify if your occupation is regulated or non-regulated. Regulated occupations are controlled by provincial and territorial (and sometimes federal) laws and governed by a professional organization or a regulatory body. If you intend to practice in a regulated trade or profession, you need to be aware that your education and work experience will be evaluated by the provincial regulatory association.

To learn more about Certification and Registration Requirements for Employment in Alberta, visit CERTinfo.

In addition, certain trades are required to be certified by Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training. To learn more visit Trade Secrets

Non-regulated occupations do not require special licensure and can range from those requiring extensive education and training, such as a university degree (computer analysts and biologists) to those that require little in the way of formal training and involve little risk to the public (salespersons, and housekeepers). There are also many apprenticeable trades for which licensing or certification is voluntary rather than compulsory in various provinces and territories.

Important Steps

Step 1

Before you arrive, find out if your occupation is regulated by visiting the Foreign Qualification Recognition page.

If your occupation is not on our list, please see occupational profiles listed on the Alberta Learning Information Service (ALIS). These profiles, which represent 2,000+ occupational titles, provide detailed information on a broad sampling of occupations that exist in Alberta.

Step 2

Visit the website of your future professional or trades association to develop an understanding of how to apply for membership and what documents you need to bring. See listings of associations and requirements for various occupations and trades: Certification and Registration Bodies for Professions and Occupations in Alberta

Step 3

Pay careful attention to the document requirements for each regulatory body or professional association. The most common document requirements include:

  • Degree, diploma, or certificate, plus a copy of your transcripts that can demonstrate your academic experience. If you plan to practice in a regulated profession, you need to ensure that your educational institution can send your official transcripts directly by mail to the association.
  • An updated copy of your resume (curriculum vitae). Ensure that you have a complete list of your past employers, educational institutions and references (contact name, address, telephone, e-mail and fax).
  • Reference letters from past employers in your country
Step 4

Take an online assessment to help you determine your proficiency levels. Visit the CLB-OSA page.

Pre-Arrival Resources

Before arriving in Canada, you can access resources to prepare for your settlement and job search in Alberta such as the Settlement Online Pre-Arrival (SOPA).

The Settlement Online Pre-Arrival (SOPA) is a network of Canadian settlement agencies, represented in Alberta by the Calgary Catholic Immigration Society (CCIS), which helps pre-arrival immigrants develop their job search and communication skills in order to give them a head start on finding and retaining employment. SOPA is funded by the Government of Canada through Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

Click here to watch the Arrive Prepared with SOPA video.