Canadian Criminal Law
LawyersStudy Group Description:
The Canadian Criminal Law study group focuses on assisting internationally trained lawyers in reviewing the syllabus as outlined by the National Committee of Accreditation (NCA), the standing committee of the Federation of Law Societies of Canada.
Facilitated sessions focus on the fundamentals of the exam and are facilitated by an articling student-at-law or a licensed lawyer in Alberta. Participants will concentrate on developing their study, writing, time management and reasoning skills.
* Dates and delivery mode of the study group may be subject to change. Registered participants will be notified and updates will be posted on our webpage.
Licensing Body/Provincial Body:
Law Society of Alberta
Facilitated by an articling student-at-law or a licensed lawyer in Alberta
No cost for eligible clients accepted into the study group
What's in it for you?
Based on the syllabi outlined by the NCA, our exam preparation study groups are facilitated by professionals to help you write your exams with confidence, and pass! You will have the opportunity to develop your study, writing, time management, and reasoning skills. Sessions will provide an opportunity to discuss and review complicated legal issues, apply applicable rules and laws, make sound analytical arguments and communicate legal issues, solutions, and conclusions clearly and concisely.
• Be an internationally trained lawyer
• Have been assessed by NCA to write the Canadian Criminal Law exam and provide proof
• Complete a study group assessment
• Be ready, willing and able to commit to the attendance rules
• Be ready, willing and able to study the required hours per week
• Be ready, willing and able to participate in a mentorship partnership with CRIEC
• Be approved by a career coach/facilitator/coordinator
Please note participants will require access to a laptop or PC and high speed internet suitable for audio and video streaming. A cell phone is not suitable for participation.
February 3 - April 24, 2024 (Saturdays)*
No sessions on February 17 and March 30. In preparation for the May 13 - 16, 2024 exam dates.
10:00 am - 2:30 pm
Number of Sessions:
What are the steps to find out if you can join the Canadian Criminal Law study group?
1. Call Directions for Immigrants at 403-770-5155 and make an appointment to meet with a career coach
2. Complete your online registration form
3. Attend your appointment to determine your eligibility
4. Complete a study group assessment with your career coach
5. Develop an action plan with your career coach