Preparation for Practice Ready Pathway
PhysiciansStudy Group Description:
This study group is focused on the Therapeutic Decision Making (TDM) exam, a required assessment for those eligible for the Practice Ready Pathway.
This is a case based review exam preparation group. Cases represent common or key clinical presentations across the four dimensions of measured care; health promotion and illness prevention, acute illness, chronic illness, and safety and adverse effects. The goal is to strengthen your critical thinking and decision-making skills in the exam context.
Note: TDM exam writers cannot write back-to-back exams.
* Dates and delivery mode of the study group may be subject to change. Registered participants will be notified via email and updates will be posted on our webpage.
Tasks will include:
- Recognition and management of unstable patients
- Provide rationale for treatment decisions
- Provide the name of the drug, dose, route, frequency and/or duration at the level of a practice family physician in Canada
- Focused application of knowledge in the pharmacological and non pharmacological management of common medical conditions
- Recognition of key elements of patient history in decision making
- Trauma assessments and management via therapeutics
- Manage common side effects and polypharmacy presentations
- Discharge planning as related to therapeutics
- Counselling a patient regarding the management of their problem
- Cultural awareness and integration, recognition of prescription abuse & negotiating patient safety contracts
Co-facilitated by a career coach and licensed physicians or senior residentsCost:
No cost for eligible clients accepted into the groupEligibility Requirements:
- Have successfully written and passed the MCC Qualifying Examination Part I (MCC QE1) and provide proof upon request
- Meet the College of Physician and Surgeon’s Alberta language criteria
- Have intention or be in process of applying for a Practice Ready Assessment in Family Medicine
- Be willing to abide by group protocols and attendance requirements
- Be approved by a career coach/facilitator/coordinator
Please note participants will require access to a laptop or PC and high speed internet suitable for audio and video streaming. A cell phone is not suitable for participation.Dates:
May 24 - June 3 * In preparation for the June 7, 2022 examTimes:
6:00 pm - 9:00 pmNumber of sessions:
5What are the steps to find out if you can join the Preparation to Practice Ready Pathway study group?
- Call the Directions for Immigrants office to make an appointment with career coach, phone 403-770-5155
- Complete your online registration form
- Attend your appointment to determine your eligibility
- Complete a study group assessment with your career coach
- Clients will be notified via email as to acceptance or decline
- Develop an action plan with your career coach if accepted to the group
Note: There is limited number of spaces available for this study group. All applicants are added to a potential participant list until notification of acceptance. Final acceptance to the study group is based on available space and personal suitability to the group and the objectives of the study group. For more information, call the main reception at 403-770-5155.
For more information on the TDM exam:
For more information on Practice Ready Assessments in other provinces: