Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Examination Part I (MCCQE1)
PhysiciansStudy Group Description:
The Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Examination Part I (MCCQE1) study group focuses on assisting international medical graduates in reviewing competencies as outlined by the Medical Council of Canada’s Objectives for the Qualifying Examination through practice exams and/or oral review with a facilitator. The sessions are focused at the clinical clerkship level as a review of clinical knowledge, ethics, professionalism and cultural competencies. Sessions will strengthen critical thinking, decision making abilities and exam taking skills.
Limited spaces are available in the MCCQE1 study group.
This study group is designed around feedback, both oral and written to individuals and the group with a focus on steady improvement. Please be aware this is not a discussion group.
* Dates and delivery mode of the study group may be subject to change. Registered participants will be notified via email and updates will be posted on our webpage.
Co-facilitated by a career coach and licensed physicians or senior residentsCost:
No cost for eligible clients accepted into the groupEligibility Requirements:
- Be an international medical graduate
- Have registered for an upcoming MCCQE1 exam and provide proof
- Attend the mandatory screening session. Screening includes a one-on-one interview designed to assess clinical knowledge, language fluency and attitude towards learning
- Be ready, willing and able to commit to the attendance rules and group protocols
- Be ready, willing and able to study the required hours per week
- Be approved by a career coach/facilitator/coordinator
Acceptance to the MCCQEI study group requires participation in a screening process.
Type of screening: Oral - for invited participants only
Date: February 1, 2023 *
Time: 6:00 - 9:00 pm (participants will be assigned time slots)
Delivery method: Online
Important information regarding screening:
- Assessments are based on CaNMEDS roles
- Notification regarding acceptance or decline will be sent via email
- Written feedback will be given on areas requiring improvement
- All decisions are final
- Participants may reapply for future screening if unsuccessful
- The screening is for participants writing the QE1 upon completion of the study group, it is not intended as instructional session
Please note participant will require access to a laptop or PC and high speed internet suitable for audio and video streaming. A cell phone is not suitable for participation.Required Textbook:
Toronto Notes (current edition) for Medical Students, University of Toronto PressSuggested Reading:
February 4 - April 1, 2023 *
6:00 pm - 9:00 pm (Tuesdays and Thursdays) and 10:00 am - 1:00 pm (Saturdays)
- Sessions are physician led with a focused review
- The objective of the study group is to improve critical thinking, clinical reasoning and exam skills
What are the steps to find out if you can join the MCCQE1 study group?
- Call Directions for Immigrants and make an appointment to meet a career coach, phone 403-770-5155
- Complete your online registration form
- Attend your appointment to determine your eligibility
- Complete a study group assessment with your career coach. Potential clients will be added to a list and will be notified of the screening sessions via email
- Clients must attend the mandatory screening session as noted above
- Clients will be notified via email as to acceptance or decline
- Develop an action plan with your career coach if accepted to the study group