Information you need to know to work as an Audiologist

Who is the regulatory body responsible for Audiologists in Alberta?

In Alberta, you must be registered with the Alberta College of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists (ACSLPA) in order to work in clinical, administrative, teaching or research settings, or to volunteer as an audiologist. Only regulated ACSLPA members may use the following protected titles of the profession: Audiologist, Aud. or R. Aud.

What are the registration requirements for internationally educated Audiologists?

NOTE: For complete information and to ensure you have the most up-to-date information, please visit the Alberta College of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists (ACSLPA), and review the Applicants Educated in a Program Not accredited in Canada or the US section of the ACSLPA Registration Standards and Guidelines.

Internationally educated audiologists are required to have

  1. Master’s degree majoring in Audiology ACSLPA completes the assessment of the coursework and clinical practice hours, which must cover the areas described in the ACSLPA Registration Standards and Guidelines. These requirements are based on the Academic Equivalency Framework established by the Canadian Alliance of Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology Regulators (CAASPR)
  2. Proof of English language proficiency if your first language is not English
  3. Successful completion of the SAC certification examination offered by Speech-Language & Audiology Canada (SAC) Upon successful completion of ACSLPA assessment and SAC certification exam, applicants will be eligible for conditional registration with ACSLPA. Conditional registration requires that you practice under the supervision of an approved audiologist for a minimum of twelve (12) weeks. When the supervisory period is successfully completed, the conditional registration will be changed to a full registration.
  4. Satisfactory police information check, including a Vulnerable Sector Check (PIC/VSC).
  5. Evidence of professional liability insurance.
  6. Written reference from an audiologist colleague or recent employer.

Note: Internationally educated audiologists who are new to Canada must provide their original Immigration Identification Card or Permanent Resident Card. ACSLPA will keep a copy of the document.

What is the role of Speech-Language Pathology & Audiology Canada (SAC)?

SAC is a national, professional member association and offers a certification exam for audiologists (and one for speech-language pathologists), which may be written by internationally trained applicants at ACSLPA’s request.

The exam is offered twice a year; applicants have up to three chances to successfully complete the exam. Applicants are encouraged to be aware of exam fees, registration deadlines, locations, and turnaround time of exam results. The SAC website provides this information, as well as recommended resources to prepare for the exam. Applicants may also apply to become a member of SAC.

What are the educational requirements for Audiologists in Alberta?

Note: Regulatory bodies compare international education and experience to Canadian standards.

In Canada, the minimum education requirement for audiologists is a master's degree in audiology. Admission to master's degree programs generally requires an acceptable average in a four-year bachelor's degree program with specified courses.

In Canada, master’s degree programs in audiology are offered by:

A clinical practicum in a hospital, private hearing clinic, rehabilitation centre or health care facility is required before graduation. Universities and colleges throughout Alberta offer bachelor's degree programs that can provide suitable preparation for a master's degree program in audiology. Admission requirements for bachelor's degree programs vary from one post-secondary institution and program to another.

What is the accepted English language proficiency test and where can I be tested?

Applicants whose first language is not English must demonstrate English language proficiency by completing testing through:

Applicants are advised to review the ACSLPA minimal requirements for these tests, available in the ACSLPA Registration Standards and Guidelines.

To learn more about where to take an English language proficiency test in Alberta, visit English Language Proficiency Tests and Locations.

NOTE: English is considered the first language of the applicant if:

  1. It is the language primarily used by the applicant for reading, writing, listening and speaking in the workplace and
  2. It is the language in which the applicant is most comfortable and proficient.

What supports are available to support internationally educated health care professionals to integrate into the Canadian labour force?

Directions for Immigrants offers workplace communication groups to help you integrate into the Canadian work environment. The Clear Communication for Health Professionals (CCHP) workplace communication group is designed to help internationally educated health care professionals fine-tune their communication skills with patients, supervisors, and colleagues. In one week, you will learn through role-play and scenarios the nuances and expectations of Canadian patients, inter-disciplinary teams, and other health care industry participants. Topics include overcoming communication barriers, professional workplace interaction/behaviour, Canadian workplace culture, conflict resolution, and teamwork. Visit Clear Communication for Health Professionals for more information. 

What information resources are available for Audiologists in Alberta?

Additional Occupational Information

For more information on occupations, duties and wages, visit