Information you need to know to work as a Nutritionist or Registered Dietician

Who is the licensing body responsible for Dietitians/Nutritionists in Alberta?

In Alberta, you must be registered with the College of Dietitians of Alberta (CDA) to practice as a Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist. Only registered members may use the protected titles Registered Dietitian, Registered Nutritionist, Dietitian, Nutritionist, the initials RD, Provisional Dietitian and Dietetic Intern.

What are the registration requirements for internationally educated Dietitians/Nutritionists?

Internationally educated Dietitians/Nutritionists must:

  1. Hold a four-year Bachelor of Science degree with a focus in Foods and Nutrition from an accredited Canadian University (or equivalent)
  2. Complete a dietetic internship from an accredited Canadian internship program (or equivalent) Note: Must have completed these qualifications within three years prior to the application
  3. Review the Internationally Educated Applicant information on the CDA website
  4. Have your documentation assessed by an assessment agency approved by the CDA These agencies include: Note: Applicants are advised to request a Comprehensive Course by Course Report
  5. Achieve the required passing score on one of the CDA approved English Language Tests:
  6. Complete a Police Information Check
  7. Apply to CDA for assessment

Note: For complete information on the registration requirements for internationally educated Dietitians/Nutritionists, visit the Internationally Educated Applicant page on the College of Dietitians of Alberta website.

What are the educational requirements for Dietitians/Nutritionists in Alberta?

Note: Licensing bodies compare international education and experience to Canadian standards.

The minimum education requirement is a four-year Bachelor of Science degree in nutrition and dietetics followed by a one-year dietetic internship, both of which have been approved by the College of Dietitians of Alberta.

In Alberta, the University of Alberta in Edmonton offers a four-year Bachelor of Science degree in Nutrition and Food Science, Dietetics Specialization.

Post-secondary institutions throughout the province offer university transfer programs that allow students to apply up to two years of study toward university bachelor's degree programs. It is the student's responsibility to ensure that the courses they choose to take will be accepted for credit at the institution to which they wish to transfer.

What are the accepted English language proficiency tests and where can I be tested?

Applicants must successfully achieve the required passing score on one of the CDA approved English Language Tests. These are TOEFL and IELTS. To learn more about where to take an English language proficiency test in Alberta, visit English Language Proficiency Tests and Locations.

What resources and supports are available for internationally educated Dietitians/Nutritionists?

Directions for Immigrants offers workplace communication groups to help you integrate into the Canadian work environment. The Clear Communication for Health Professionals (CCHP) workplace communication group is designed to help internationally educated health care professionals fine-tune their communication skills with patients, supervisors, and colleagues. In one week, you will learn through role-play and scenarios the nuances and expectations of Canadian patients, inter-disciplinary teams, and other health care industry participants. Topics include overcoming communication barriers, professional workplace interaction/behaviour, Canadian workplace culture, conflict resolution, and teamwork. Visit Clear Communication for Health Professionals for more information.

What information resources are available for Dietitians/Nutritionists in Alberta?

Additional Occupational Information

For more information on occupations, duties and wages, visit: