Information you need to know to work as a Chiropractor

Who is the licensing body responsible for Chiropractors in Alberta?

In Alberta, you must be registered with the Alberta College and Association of Chiropractors to practice as a Chiropractor. Only registered members may call themselves Chiropractors, and only registered members may practice chiropractic in Alberta.

What are the licensing requirements for internationally educated Chiropractors?

Internationally trained Chiropractors who hold a degree in Chiropractic by an educational institute accredited by the following bodies are eligible to apply for licensing in Canada:

Internationally trained Chiropractors must also meet the requirements laid out in the General Application for Registration. For further information, applicants can download the Practicing in Alberta brochure:

  1. Complete and submit the General Class application form. This form must by signed and stamped by a Notary Public or Commissioner for Oaths.
  2. Submit an official passport photo taken within the last 12 months. This photo must by signed and stamped by a Notary Public or Commissioner for Oaths.
  3. Include proof of citizenship, residency or permission to work in Canada (e.g., copy of PR card or Canadian work visa if you are not a Canadian citizen).
  4. Successfully complete the Canadian Chiropractic Examining Board (CCEB) examinations. Request that the CCEB forwards your results directly to ACAC. CCEB exam results are valid for one year from the date the certificate is issued.
  5. Include an official copy of your chiropractic transcript forwarded directly from the school where you trained. Emailed, faxed or photocopied transcripts will not be accepted. If your chiropractic transcript is not in English, you must also forward an official translation.
  6. If you have practiced chiropractic for any length of time, you must also submit a letter of standing from each jurisdiction where you have practiced or currently practice chiropractic, or any other health care profession. These letters must be sent directly from each jurisdiction to the ACAC. Emailed, faxed or photocopied letters will not be accepted.

Once your application, exam results, transcripts and letters of standing have been received, you will receive an email of confirmation from ACAC and the process of registration begins. The confirmation email includes a calculation of fees owing for the remainder of the ACAC year (July 1 – June 30), pro-rated quarterly based on the expected date of licensure. From this point, you have 3 months to complete the registration process. The remaining steps include:

  1. Payment of remaining fees.
  2. Successful completion of open book registration exam. Upon receipt of fee payment, you will be emailed the exam. The passing grade for the exam is 100%.
  3. Proof of professional liability protection. Upon successful completion of the registration exam, ACAC will provide instructions to you to secure professional liability protection. Please do not attempt to arrange for this requirement until this specific instruction is provided.

Once proof of professional liability protection is received, it will take 5 - 10 business days to activate your practice permit. If you have not completed all steps to have your practice permit activated within 3 months, your application will be closed and none of the fees paid will be returned. The ACAC will not retain any documentation associated with a closed application.

What is the Canadian Chiropractic Examining Board?

The Canadian Chiropractic Examining Board (CCEB) administers clinical competency examinations on behalf of the chiropractic profession for individuals seeking licensure in Canada. Successful applicants receive a Certificate of Registration from the CCEB, which is a mandatory requirement for chiropractors who wish to apply for provincial licensure. Applicants are encouraged to be aware of exam registration deadlines, exam criteria, exam fees, exam frequency and, the turnaround time for exam results.

What are the educational requirements for Chiropractors in Alberta?

NOTE: Licensing bodies compare international education and experience to Canadian standards.

Internationally trained Chiropractors who hold a degree in Chiropractic by an educational institute accredited by the following bodies are eligible to apply for licensing in Canada:

In Canada, two post-secondary institutions offer four-year chiropractic programs:

What are the accepted English language proficiency tests and where can I be tested?

There are no formal English requirements for Chiropractors; however, Chiropractors must have a high level of English in the areas of reading, writing, speaking and listening skills in order to communicate with clients and maintain client records. To learn more about where to take an English language proficiency test in Alberta, visit English Language Proficiency Tests and Locations.

What resources and supports are available for internationally educated Chiropractors?

Directions for Immigrants offers workplace communication groups to help you integrate into the Canadian work environment. The Clear Communication for Health Professionals (CCHP) workplace communication group is designed to help internationally educated health care professionals fine-tune their communication skills with patients, supervisors, and colleagues. In one week, you will learn through role-play and scenarios the nuances and expectations of Canadian patients, inter-disciplinary teams, and other health care industry participants. Topics include overcoming communication barriers, professional workplace interaction/behaviour, Canadian workplace culture, conflict resolution, and teamwork. Visit Clear Communication for Health Professionals for more information.

What information resources are available for Chiropractors in Alberta?

Additional Occupational Information

For more information on occupations, duties and wages, visit: