Information you need to know to work as a Diagnostic Medical Sonogpraher

What are the licensing requirements for internationally educated Diagnostic Medical Sonographers?

Currently, there is no licensing authority to regulate the profession of Diagnostic Medical Sonography in Alberta. Registration is not a requirement to work in Alberta unless it is required by an employer. Therefore, applicants are encouraged to be aware of employer expectations regarding registration.

Applicants should also be aware that the Alberta College of Medical Diagnostic and Therapeutic Technologists (ACMDTT) is in the process of introducing regulation of sonography in the province. Information on the pending regulation can be found on the ACMDTT website.

The provincial sonography association in Alberta is the Alberta Diagnostic Sonographers Association (ADSA). Membership is by application.

The national sonography association in Canada is Sonography Canada (SC). To become an active credentialed member, internationally educated Diagnostic Medical Sonographers must apply to SC under the Alternate Pathway Applicants/External and:

  1. Have your training and experience assessed. Note: Documents that are not in English must be translated by an official translator. The Association of Translators and Interpreters of Alberta and Immigrant Services Calgary provide translation services.
  2. Pass all credentialing exams within four years of approval. Note: a maximum of four attempts of any of the core or cardiac exams or any component of the Generalist exam is allowed.
  3. Pass Canadian Clinical Skills Assessment (CCSA) within two years from date of notification of eligibility to challenge the CCSA.

The national credentialing organization in the United States is the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS). To become credentialed, applicants must meet the educational and experience requirements, as well as successfully complete a series of certification exams.

The national sonography association in the United States is the Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonography (SDMS). Membership is by application.

What are the educational requirements for Diagnostic Medical Sonographers in Alberta?

Note: Licensing bodies compare international education and experience to Canadian standards.

In Alberta, accredited training programs for Diagnostic Medical Sonographers are offered by the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT) in Edmonton and Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT) in Calgary. The Michener Institute of Education at the UHN in Toronto offers a Generalist Sonography Bridging Program.

What are the accepted English language proficiency tests and where can I be tested?

Applicants must successfully achieve the required passing score of 80 within the past two years on a TOEFL English Language Tests. To learn more about where to take an English language proficiency test in Alberta, visit English Language Proficiency Tests and Locations.

What supports are available to support internationally educated Diagnostic Medical Sonographers to integrate into the Canadian labour force?

Directions for Immigrants offers workplace communication groups to help you integrate into the Canadian work environment. The Clear Communication for Health Professionals (CCHP) workplace communication group is designed to help internationally educated health care professionals fine-tune their communication skills with patients, supervisors, and colleagues. In one week, you will learn through role-play and scenarios the nuances and expectations of Canadian patients, inter-disciplinary teams, and other health care industry participants. Topics include overcoming communication barriers, professional workplace interaction/behaviour, Canadian workplace culture, conflict resolution, and teamwork. Visit Clear Communication for Health Professionals for more information.

What information resources are available for Diagnostic Medical Sonographers in Alberta?

Additional Occupational Information

For more information on occupations, duties and wages, visit: