Information you need to know to work as a Licensed Practical Nurse

Who is the licensing body responsible for Licensed Practical Nurses in Alberta?

In Alberta, you must be registered with the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Alberta (CLPNA) to practice as a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN). Only registered members may call themselves Licensed Practical Nurses.

What are the licensure requirements for internationally educated Licensed Practical Nurses?

Note: CLPNA compares international education and experience to Canadian and Alberta standards.

For complete information on the registration requirements for Internationally Educated Licensed Practical Nurses, visit the Internationally Educated Nurses page on the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Alberta website.

Internationally Educated Nurses must:

  • Ensure that your English skills meet CLPNA’s proficiency requirements. Go to English Language Testing Standards
  • Ensure that you meet the educational requirements before applying to the National Nursing Assessment Service (NNAS) for assessment
  • Apply to the National Nursing Assessment Service (NNAS) Note: The National Nursing Assessment Service (NNAS) Applicant Handbook provides the official steps to completing the NNAS application
  • Once you have received your advisory report from NNAS, submit your application form and fee to CLPNA
  • CLPNA will review your advisory report and assess your eligibility for registration to become a Licensed Practical Nurse in Alberta
  • If no further upgrading and no further assessment is required, complete CLPNA’s Registration process
  • If further training is required, you will be advised of the requirements by CLPNA

What are the educational requirements for Licensed Practical Nurses in Alberta?

Note: Licensing bodies compare international education and experience to Canadian standards. Please be aware that Alberta also has standards that must be met.

In Alberta, licensed practical nurses must be graduates of approved practical nursing education programs or have equivalent training. Practical nursing programs consist of a combination of classroom and laboratory instruction and clinical experience in various health care settings.

The following Alberta post-secondary institutions offer full-time and/or part-time practical nursing programs:

What training programs or services are available for internationally educated Licensed Practical Nurses?

Bow Valley College in Calgary offers a Practical Nurse Diploma for Internationally Educated Nurses.

NorQuest College in Edmonton offers a Practical Nurse Refresher program.

What are the accepted English language proficiency tests and where can I be tested?

Applicants must successfully achieve the required passing score on one of the CLPNA-approved English Language Proficiency exams. This includes CELBAN and IELTS. To learn more about where to take an English language proficiency test in Alberta, visit English Language Proficiency Tests and Locations.

What supports are available to support internationally educated Licensed Practical Nurses to integrate into the Canadian labour force?

Directions for Immigrants offers workplace communication groups to help you integrate into the Canadian work environment. The Clear Communication for Health Professionals (CCHP) workplace communication group is designed to help internationally educated health care professionals fine-tune their communication skills with patients, supervisors, and colleagues. In one week, you will learn through role-play and scenarios the nuances and expectations of Canadian patients, inter-disciplinary teams, and other health care industry participants. Topics include overcoming communication barriers, professional workplace interaction/behaviour, Canadian workplace culture, conflict resolution, and teamwork. Visit Clear Communication for Health Professionals for more information.

What information resources are available for Licensed Practical Nurses in Alberta?

Additional Occupational Information

For more information on occupations, duties and wages, visit: