Information you need to know to work as a Midwife

Who is the registering body responsible for regulating Midwives in Alberta?

In Alberta, you must be registered with the College of Midwives of Alberta (CMA) to practise as a Midwife. Only registered members may call themselves Midwives.

What are the registration requirements for midwives?

Internationally educated midwifes must:

  1. Have attended formal training in midwifery, which is substantially equivalent to a Midwifery Bachelor’s Degree from a Canadian University. Have attended the minimum number of births as set out in the Registrant’s Handbook.
  2. Have your transcripts evaluated by World Education Services (WES) or International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS).
  3. Complete an approved Prior Learning and experience Assessment (PLEA).
    1. Complete and submit the Competency Assessment Tool with syllabus as needed (required).
    2. Complete and submit the Application for Assessment of Eligibility (required):
      1. Guide to Application for Assessment
      2. CMA Application for Assessment of Eligibility
      3. Declaration Forms and Instructions

    NOTE: The College is in the process of revising its PLEA. Please confirm with the College that you have the correct information.

  4. Have declaration forms sent directly to the College.
  5. Submit the Competency Tool and the application with the required fees.
  6. Upon successful completion and with recommendations from the PLEA or bridging program—submit registration for the Canadian Midwifery Registration Exam (CMRE and Objective Structured Clinical Exam (OSCE).
  7. Pass the Application for Assessment of Eligibility.
  8. Pass the Canadian Midwifery Registration Exam (CMRE) and the Objective Structured Clinical Exams (OSCE).
  9. Submit:
    1. Application for Registration
    2. Current certification in CPR, Obstetrical Emergency Skills, Neonatal Resuscitation and Fetal Health Surveillance
    3. Current Criminal Record Check (within one year)
    4. Registration Fee
  10. Apply to Established Practices for supervised employment.

For complete information on registration requirements for internationally educated midwives, visit the College of Midwives of Alberta (CMA).

What are the educational requirements for Midwives in Alberta?

Note: Regulatory bodies compare international education and experience to Canadian standards.

The educational requirement for registration in Alberta is to have satisfactorily completed a program of studies approved by the Alberta Health Disciplines Board (HDB) or a program that is substantially equivalent to a four-year Canadian university midwifery degree program. The HDB has only approved Canadian programs.

In Alberta, Mount Royal University in Calgary offers a four-year Bachelor of Midwifery (BMid) program.

What training programs or services are available for internationally educated midwives?

There are no training programmes or services for internationally educated midwives in Alberta at this time.

What are the accepted English language proficiency tests and where can I be tested?

Applicants must successfully achieve the required passing score on one of the CMA-approved English Language Tests: TOEFL (95) or IELTS (7.0). To learn more about where to take an English language proficiency test in Alberta, visit English Language Proficiency Tests and Locations.

What supports are available to support internationally educated Midwives to integrate into the Canadian labour force?

Directions for Immigrants offers workplace communication groups to help you integrate into the Canadian work environment. The Clear Communication for Health Professionals (CCHP) workplace communication group is designed to help internationally educated health care professionals fine-tune their communication skills with patients, supervisors, and colleagues. In one week, you will learn through role-play and scenarios the nuances and expectations of Canadian patients, inter-disciplinary teams, and other health care industry participants. Topics include overcoming communication barriers, professional workplace interaction/behaviour, Canadian workplace culture, conflict resolution, and teamwork. Visit Clear Communication for Health Professionals for more information.

What resources are available for Midwives in Alberta?

Additional Occupational Information

For more information on occupations, duties and wages, visit: