Information you need to know to work as a Medical Diagnostic and Therapeutic Technologist

Who is the licensing body responsible for Medical Diagnostic and Therapeutic Technologists in Alberta?

In Alberta, you must be registered with the Alberta College of Medical Diagnostic and Therapeutic Technologists (ACMDTT). Only registered members may call themselves a Magnetic Resonance Technologist, Radiation Therapy Technologist, Radiologic Technologist, Nuclear Medicine Technologist or Electroneurophysiology Technologist.

What are the registration and licensure requirements for internationally educated Medical Diagnostic and Therapeutic Technologists?

For complete registration requirements, visit the International Applicants page and the Registration Information Guide on the Alberta College of Medical Diagnostic and Therapeutic Technologists' website.

Internationally educated Medical Diagnostic and Therapeutic Technologists must:

  1. Apply to ACMDTT and submit the required documentation and fees.
  2. Ensure that you have met the ACMDTT English Language Proficiency requirements as per the ACMDTT Language Proficiency page.
  3. If not determined by ACMDTT to be substantially equivalent to Canadian training, complete the requirements as assessed by ACMDTT which may include an entry-to-practice certification exam (see Step 5 for Internationally Educated Applicants)
  4. Apply for General Registration and submit the appropriate fee. Receive your registration to practice in Alberta.

A Flow Chart outlining the registration process can be found on the ACMDTT website.

What are the educational requirements for Medical Diagnostic and Therapeutic Technologists in Alberta?

Note: Licensing bodies compare international education and experience to Canadian and Alberta standards.
In Alberta, SAIT Polytechnic in Calgary offers programs in Medical Laboratory Technology, Medical Radiologic Technology, and Nuclear Medicine Technology.

NAIT in Edmonton offers programs in Magnetic Resonance Technology (diploma and post-diploma certificate), combined Laboratory and X-ray Technology, Medical Radiologic Technology, Medical Laboratory Technology, and a Medical Radiologic Technology Bridging program.

What are the accepted English language proficiency tests and where can I be tested?

Applicants who have not received their training in English in Canada must successfully achieve the required passing score on one of the ACMDTT approved English Language Proficiency tests. This includes TOEFL, IELTS, or MELA. To learn more about where to take an English language proficiency test in Alberta, visit English Language Proficiency Tests and Locations.

What supports are available to support internationally educated Medical Diagnostic and Therapeutic Technologists to integrate into the Canadian labour force?

Directions for Immigrants offers workplace communication groups to help you integrate into the Canadian work environment. The Clear Communication for Health Professionals (CCHP) workplace communication group is designed to help internationally educated health care professionals fine-tune their communication skills with patients, supervisors, and colleagues. In one week, you will learn through role-play and scenarios the nuances and expectations of Canadian patients, inter-disciplinary teams, and other health care industry participants. Topics include overcoming communication barriers, professional workplace interaction/behaviour, Canadian workplace culture, conflict resolution, and teamwork. Visit Clear Communication for Health Professionals for more information.

What information resources are available for Magnetic Resonance Technologists in Alberta?

Additional Occupational Information

For more information on occupations, duties and wages, visit: