Information you need to know to work as a Respiratory Therapist

Who is the licensing body responsible for Respiratory Therapists in Alberta?

In Alberta, you must be registered with the College and Association of Respiratory Therapists of Alberta (CARTA) to practice as a Respiratory Therapist. Only registered members may call themselves Respiratory Therapists.

What are the registration requirements for internationally educated Respiratory Therapists?

Internationally educated Respiratory Therapist applicants must:

  1. Achieve the required English language proficiency on the Canadian Language Benchmarks test.
  2. Review the Canadian Society of Respiratory Therapists (CSRT) National Competency Profile 2011 checklist and sign the attestation.
  3. Complete an Alberta Government International Qualifications Service (IQAS) assessment.
  4. Apply to the College and Association of Respiratory Therapists of Alberta and submit all the required documents.
  5. Write and pass the Canadian Board for Respiratory Care (CBRC) Examinations. Applicants who have passed the National Board for Respiratory Care Exam (NBRC) RRT level in the USA are exempt as both exams are equivalent.
  6. Apply to CARTA for membership, providing all document requested in the Information Guide: Foreign Applications linked on the Foreign Qualification Recognition page.

Temporary Permit: In order qualify for a temporary permit in Canada, applicants must have graduated from an approved program listed on the Accreditation Canada Find a Canadian Accredited Service Provider page, or the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC) in the United States. For complete and the most current information on the licensing process for internationally educated Respiratory Therapists, visit the Foreign Qualification Recognition page on the College and Association of Respiratory Therapists of Alberta (CARTA) website.

What are the educational requirements for Respiratory Therapists in Alberta?

In Alberta, the following technical institutes offer three-year diploma programs in Respiratory Therapy:

Note: Licensing bodies compare international education and experience to Canadian standards.

What are the accepted English language proficiency tests and where can I be tested?

Applicants must successfully achieve the score of 9 or higher on the Canadian Language Benchmarks test in all four categories: speaking, listening, reading and writing. To learn more about where to take an English language proficiency test in Alberta, visit English Language Proficiency Tests and Locations.

What supports are available to support internationally educated Respiratory Therapists to integrate into the Canadian labour force?

Directions for Immigrants offers workplace communication groups to help you integrate into the Canadian work environment. The Clear Communication for Health Professionals (CCHP) workplace communication group is designed to help internationally educated health care professionals fine-tune their communication skills with patients, supervisors, and colleagues. In one week, you will learn through role-play and scenarios the nuances and expectations of Canadian patients, inter-disciplinary teams, and other health care industry participants. Topics include overcoming communication barriers, professional workplace interaction/behaviour, Canadian workplace culture, conflict resolution, and teamwork. Visit Clear Communication for Health Professionals for more information. 

What information resources are available for Respiratory Therapists in Alberta?

Additional Occupational Information

For more information on occupations, duties and wages, visit: