Information you need to know to practice as a Psychologist

Who is the regulatory body responsible for accrediting Psychologists in Alberta?

In Alberta, you must be registered with the College of Alberta Psychologists (CAP) to practice as a Psychologist. Only registered members may call themselves Psychologists.

What are the registration requirements for internationally trained Psychologists?

Internationally trained Psychologists must:

  1. Complete a Specialized Assessment through the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS).
  2. Apply to the College of Alberta Psychologists.
  3. Arrange for your academic credentials to be evaluated by the College of Alberta Psychologists.
  4. Apply for provisional registration once your academic credentials have been approved by the College:
    1. Complete an Application for Registration as a Provisional Psychologist
    2. Provide the non-refundable application fee per fee schedule
    3. Provide an original Criminal Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Check, dated within one year of the provisional application date
    4. Complete the Registration Verification documents
    5. Complete the Fitness to Practice Declaration
    6. Provide proof of $1 million in professional liability insurance coverage
    7. Submit a Supervision Plan and/or Waiver Request
  5. Upon approval of the provisional application the applicant is issued a Practice Permit and may practice as a Registered Provisional Psychologist. Provisional psychologists must practice under supervision until fully registered. The following requirements must be completed, within five years of being awarded provisional status, in order to become fully registered:
    1. Successfully complete the Examination for Professional Practice in Psychology (EPPP-1 and EPPP-2)
    2. Successfully complete the Law and Ethics for Alberta Psychologists (LEAP) Examination
    3. Successfully complete 1600 hours of supervised (evaluated) practice
  6. Upon completion of the above requirements, the Registered Provisional Psychologist must provide:
    1. Three positive professional references
    2. The Final Registration Declaration Form

A final review will take place upon completion of all of the above requirements. Pending a positive review, the Registered Provisional Psychologist is granted a Practice Permit to practice independently as a Registered Psychologist. For the most up-to-date and complete information on the registration requirements for Internationally Trained Applicants, visit the Process to Register as an Internationally Trained Psychologist (ITP) on the College of Alberta Psychologists website. In addition, the document Information for International Applicants and the Frequently Asked Questions tabs will provide further information.

What are the educational requirements for Psychologists in Alberta?

Note: Regulatory bodies compare international education and experience to Canadian standards. Visit the Criteria for Evaluating Academic Credentials under the Register as a Psychologist tab on the College of Alberta Psychologists website. Please read the information carefully.

What are the accepted English language proficiency tests and where can I be tested?

Internationally educated applicants are required to take an English language proficiency test unless their highest degree was obtained in English or they have a high school diploma or a minimum of two years of undergraduate education (in any field) in English. Internationally educated applicants must achieve a minimum score of 7.0 in each component of the academic version of the IELTS test within 24 months of application. To learn more about where to take an English language proficiency test in Alberta, visit English Language Proficiency Tests and Locations.

What training programs or services are available for internationally educated Psychologists?

Note: Licensing bodies compare international education and experience to Canadian standards.

In Alberta, psychologists require a Master’s degree in Psychology.

The following universities in Alberta offer Master’s degree programs in Psychology:

What supports are available to support internationally educated health care professionals to integrate into the Canadian labour force?

Directions for Immigrants offers workplace communication groups to help you integrate into the Canadian work environment. The Clear Communication for Health Professionals (CCHP) workplace communication group is designed to help internationally educated health care professionals fine-tune their communication skills with patients, supervisors, and colleagues. In one week, you will learn through role-play and scenarios the nuances and expectations of Canadian patients, inter-disciplinary teams, and other health care industry participants. Topics include overcoming communication barriers, professional workplace interaction/behaviour, Canadian workplace culture, conflict resolution, and teamwork. Visit Clear Communication for Health Professionals for more information.

What information resources are available for Psychologists in Alberta?

Additional Occupational Information

For more information on occupations, duties and wages, visit: