Information you need to know to work as a Dental Technologist/Technician

Who is the licensing body responsible for Dental Technologists?

In Alberta, it is mandatory for all Dental Technologists/Technicians practicing in a Dentist’s office or Dental Laboratory to be registered with the College of Dental Technologists of Alberta (CDTA) to practice within the profession of Dental Technologists/Technicians. Only registered members may call themselves Dental Technologists or Dental Technicians.

What are the licensure requirements for internationally educated Dental Technologists?

Internationally educated applicants must:

  1. Complete and submit the Initial Application as a Dental Technologist or Dental Technician form to the College of Dental Technologists of Alberta (CDTA), along with the required fees
  2. Submit an International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) “Specialized Assessment”, a syllabus or course outline of your educational program(s), and a copy of your transcripts along with a copy of your diploma
  3. If you were a member of a dental association outside of Canada, submit the name of the association and membership duration
  4. Provided a resume of related work experience and a employer Letter of Reference
  5. Related Continuing Education Programming
  6. Submit results of a Criminal Record Check

NOTE: Have all required documents translated into English and notarized. The Association of Translators and Interpreters of Alberta provides translation services.

Upon review of the applicant's file, the Registration, Education and Competency Committee will determine competence to practice. The candidate may be required to complete a practical exam based on the merit of the application as reviewed by the Committee.

What are the educational requirements for Dental Technologists?

Note: Licensing bodies compare international education and experience to Canadian standards.

The Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT) in Edmonton offers a two-year Dental Technology diploma program.

What resources and supports are available for internationally educated Dental Technologists/Technicians?

Directions for Immigrants offers workplace communication groups to help you integrate into the Canadian work environment. The Clear Communication for Health Professionals (CCHP) workplace communication group is designed to help internationally educated health care professionals fine-tune their communication skills with patients, supervisors, and colleagues. In one week, you will learn through role-play and scenarios the nuances and expectations of Canadian patients, inter-disciplinary teams, and other health care industry participants. Topics include overcoming communication barriers, professional workplace interaction/behaviour, Canadian workplace culture, conflict resolution, and teamwork. Visit Clear Communication for Health Professionals for more information.

What are the accepted English language proficiency tests and where can I be tested?

There are no formal English requirements for Dental Technologists/Technicians; however, Dental Technologists/Technicians must have a high level of English in order to communicate with patients and maintain patient records. To learn more about where to take an English language proficiency test in Alberta, visit English Language Proficiency Tests and Locations.

What information resources are available for Dental Technologists?

College of Dental Technologists of Alberta (CDTA)

Additional Occupational Information

For more information on occupations, duties and wages, visit: