Occupation information you need to know to work as a Dentist

Who is the licensing body responsible for Dentists in Alberta?

In Alberta, you must be registered with the Alberta Dental Association and College (ADAC) to practice as a Dentist. Only registered members may call themselves Dentists.

What are the licensure requirements for internationally educated Dentists?

The Commission on Dental Accreditation of Canada (CDAC) is responsible for accrediting dental education programs in Canada. The CDAC International Professionals page provides information on international programs that are considered accredited.

The National Dental Examining Board of Canada (NDEB) provides information for Graduates of Non-accredited Dental Programs and the NDEB Equivalency Process.

The NDEB Equivalency Process for internationally educated Dentists from non-accredited dental programs to become accredited in Alberta is as follows:

  1. Complete the web-based self-assessment to determine your readiness to proceed with your application.
  2. The competencies for a beginning dental practitioner in Canada can be found on the NDEB site
  3. Apply to the NDEB Equivalency Process and Document Verification
  4. Complete and pass the Assessment of Fundamental Knowledge
  5. Complete and pass the Assessment of Clinical Skills
  6. Complete and pass the Assessment of Clinical Judgement
  7. Apply to NDEB Certification Process
  8. Complete and pass written and OSCE Examinations
  9. Ensure that you have met all provincial standards, as well. Note: Specialists are advised to seek further information from their professional association.

What are the educational requirements for Dentists in Alberta?

Note: Licensing bodies compare international education and experience to Canadian standards.

The Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry at the University of Alberta in Edmonton offers the only four-year program in Alberta that leads to the required degree, Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS).

What are the accepted English language proficiency tests and where can I be tested?

There are no formal English requirements for Dentists; however, Dentists must have a high level of English in order to successfully complete the NDEB exams, communicate with patients and maintain patient records. To learn more about where to take an English language proficiency test in Alberta, visit English Language Proficiency Tests and Locations.

What training programs or services are available for internationally educated Dentists?

What resources and supports are available for internationally educated Dentists?

Directions for Immigrants offers workplace communication groups to help you integrate into the Canadian work environment. The Clear Communication for Health Professionals (CCHP) workplace communication group is designed to help internationally educated health care professionals fine-tune their communication skills with patients, supervisors, and colleagues. In one week, you will learn through role-play and scenarios the nuances and expectations of Canadian patients, inter-disciplinary teams, and other health care industry participants. Topics include overcoming communication barriers, professional workplace interaction/behaviour, Canadian workplace culture, conflict resolution, and teamwork. Visit Clear Communication for Health Professionals for more information.

What resources are available for Dentists in Alberta?

Dental Specialists

Additional Occupational Information

For more information on occupations, duties and wages, visit: