Information you need to know to practice as a Podiatrist

Who is the licensing body responsible for Podiatrists in Alberta?

In Alberta, only registered members of the College of Podiatric Physicians of Alberta (CPPA) may call themselves Podiatrists.

What are the licensure requirements for internationally educated Podiatrists?

For the most up-to-date and complete information on licensure, visit the Foreign Trained page on the College of Podiatric Physicians of Alberta website.

Internationally educated Podiatrists must submit the following with their application:

  1. Copies of current registration, clearly showing the organization, registration/licence number, and contact information
  2. Proof of identity (copies of 2 pieces of government issued ID, at least one must include a photograph)
  3. Signed statutory declaration
  4. English language proficiency test results
  5. Scanned notarized copies of all relevant current/past certifications
  6. Education information (i.e. transcripts)
  7. Employment references
  8. Copy of document demonstrating current immigration status in Canada
  9. Copies of a recent Canadian Vulnerable Sector Check AND an International Criminal Record Check for all nations you have resided in
  10. Three good standing reference letters from the employers listed

What are the educational requirements for Podiatrists in Alberta?

Note: Licensing bodies compare international education and experience to Alberta standards.

All podiatrists in Alberta must hold a degree of Doctor of Podiatric Medicine (DPM) from an accredited institution in the United States.

What are the accepted English language proficiency tests and where can I be tested?

Applicants must successfully achieve the required passing score on the CPPA-approved English Language Test. This is a minimum of 7.0 in each component of the (International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test. To learn more about where to take an English language proficiency test in Alberta, visit English Language Proficiency Tests and Locations.

What supports are available to support internationally educated Podiatrists to integrate into the Canadian labour force?

Directions for Immigrants offers workplace communication groups to help you integrate into the Canadian work environment. The Clear Communication for Health Professionals (CCHP) workplace communication group is designed to help internationally educated health care professionals fine-tune their communication skills with patients, supervisors, and colleagues. In one week, you will learn through role-play and scenarios the nuances and expectations of Canadian patients, inter-disciplinary teams, and other health care industry participants. Topics include overcoming communication barriers, professional workplace interaction/behaviour, Canadian workplace culture, conflict resolution, and teamwork. Visit Clear Communication for Health Professionals for more information. 

What information resources are available for Podiatrists in Alberta?

Additional Occupational Information

For more information on occupations, duties and wages, visit: