Information you need to know to work as a Hearing Aid Practitioner

Who is the licensing body responsible for Hearing Aid Practitioners in Alberta?

In Alberta, you must be registered with the College of Hearing Aid Practitioners of Alberta to practice as a Hearing Aid Practitioner. Only registered members may call themselves Hearing Aid Practitioners.

What are the registration requirements for internationally educated Hearing Aid Practitioners?

Applicants must:

  1. Have completed a diploma program from a recognized education institution or equivalent documented education, and passed the provincial verification exams.
  2. Have documents that are not in English translated. The Association of Translators and Interpreters of Alberta and Immigrant Services Calgary provides translation services.

Submit an International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) assessment certificate. This must include a completed Description of Course Work application. For complete information on the registration requirements for internationally educated applicants, visit the Individuals Educated Outside of Canada page on the College of Hearing Aid Practitioners website.

What are the educational requirements for Hearing Aid Practitioners in Alberta?

Grant MacEwan University in Edmonton offers a two year Hearing Aid Practitioner diploma program through distance learning. Note: Licensing bodies compare international education and experience to Canadian standards.

What are the accepted English language proficiency tests and where can I be tested?

Applicants must successfully demonstrate English language proficiency. Although there are no defined requirements of English language levels, you will need to achieve a level of 7-8 on the Canadian Languague Benchmark or comparable in order to successfully complete the CHAPA competency exam. To learn more about where to take an English language proficiency test in Alberta, visit English Language Proficiency Tests and Locations.

What supports are available to support internationally educated Hearing Aid Practitioners to integrate into the Canadian labour force?

Directions for Immigrants offers workplace communication groups to help you integrate into the Canadian work environment. The Clear Communication for Health Professionals (CCHP) workplace communication group is designed to help internationally educated health care professionals fine-tune their communication skills with patients, supervisors, and colleagues. In one week, you will learn through role-play and scenarios the nuances and expectations of Canadian patients, inter-disciplinary teams, and other health care industry participants. Topics include overcoming communication barriers, professional workplace interaction/behaviour, Canadian workplace culture, conflict resolution, and teamwork. Visit Clear Communication for Health Professionals for more information.

Additional Occupational Information

For more information on occupations, duties and wages, visit the Alberta Learning Information Service at and Opportunity Alberta website.

What information resources are available for Hearing Aid Practitioners in Alberta?