Information you need to know to work as a Physiotherapist

Who is the licensing body responsible for Physiotherapists in Alberta?

In Alberta, you must be registered with the Physiotherapy Alberta College Association to practice as a Physiotherapist. Only registered members may call themselves Physiotherapists or Physical Therapists, or use the words physiotherapy or physical therapy to describe or refer to their practice, occupation, profession or business.

What are the licensure requirements for internationally educated Physiotherapists?

Internationally educated Physiotherapists must:

  1. Ensure that the criteria laid out in the Criteria to Meet section of the Internationally Educated web page are met. Note: Before applying, read the Credentialing Application Process Guide and Credentialing Policies to ensure you are eligible to apply.
  2. Apply to the Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapy Regulators for an evaluation of your education and experience. See the Credentialing Policies for the criteria that must be met in order for your training to be considered to be substantially equivalent to Canadian training. Note: Credentialing is the process of evaluating documentary evidence that an applicant provides to determine whether his or her qualifications are not substantially different from the established or published standard in the receiving country or jurisdiction.

For the most up to date and complete information on the registration requirements for internationally educated Physiotherapists, visit the Internationally Educated page on Physiotherapy Alberta College Association’s website.

What are the educational requirements for Physiotherapists in Alberta?

Note: Licensing bodies compare international education and experience to Canadian standards.

In Alberta, Physiotherapists are required to have obtained a minimum of a baccalaureate degree from a physical therapy program approved by the Council. In Alberta, the University of Alberta in Edmonton offer a Master’s degree program in Physical Therapy.

What training programs or services are available for internationally educated Physiotherapists?

University of Alberta's Certificate in Bridging to Canadian Physical Therapy Practice

The University of Alberta's  Graduate Certificate in Bridging to Canadian Physical Therapy Practice is a 12-month program and includes a mandatory clinical internship.

What are the accepted English language proficiency tests and where can I be tested?

Applicants must successfully achieve the required passing score on one of the Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapy Regulators approved English Language Tests. These include TOEFL, CanTEST, IELTS, or TESTcan (French). To learn more about where to take an English language proficiency test in Alberta, visit English Language Proficiency Tests and Locations.

What supports are available to support internationally educated Physiotherapists to integrate into the Canadian labour force?

Directions for Immigrants offers workplace communication groups to help you integrate into the Canadian work environment. The Clear Communication for Health Professionals (CCHP) workplace communication group is designed to help internationally educated health care professionals fine-tune their communication skills with patients, supervisors, and colleagues. In one week, you will learn through role-play and scenarios the nuances and expectations of Canadian patients, inter-disciplinary teams, and other health care industry participants. Topics include overcoming communication barriers, professional workplace interaction/behaviour, Canadian workplace culture, conflict resolution, and teamwork. Visit Clear Communication for Health Professionals for more information.

What information resources are available for Physiotherapists in Alberta?

Additional Occupational Information

For more information on occupations, duties and wages, visit: